Sign in to follow this  
Mojo

Forum Features / Suggestions

Do you want anything that would make your stay more pleasant? Is there something you want that could speed up your forum browsing experience (even though you know you want to stay here forever)?

Ideas for the Front page (besides the non-working Thumbnails since I am all over that)?

Thread Icons is something we had before that I am going to look back at implementing.

Please post them here.

We could try other forum software.

I hate this phpBB and other like this. These are so cluttered with unnecessary doodads and such.

We could change to Vanilla or punBB, much faster and better designed software.

eot being invisible if your not logged in, so potential newcomers arn't scared off by it :)

done and done

Core certainly could use a new look, maybe something more contemporary, the forum looks like something from the 90s.

well...i don't think we are becoming a news site, so we don't really need links to external websites and newsy stuff...there is no full staff like at PlanetHalflife or whatnot...

Just thinking about the center panel. latest forum threads won't really attract new people or make us "betterererer"...maybe having cool screenshots...

wait...idea brewing...this would take work, coordination yada yada, but what about a "Mapcore Article" or "Mapcore Analysis" or "Mapcore Review" every couple weeks about a hot new game or some industry development? We could possibly even conduct polls and runs some threads for members to comment on a particular topic, then we write up a good article on the subject with results of our quantitative/qualitative analysis/opinions. In the end, this could be a "hardcore gamer / game-designer" opinion about industry topic. Even a game review.

The point? it might be somethign worth reading to outsiders and could help "promote" mapcore a bit more.

Personally, I love writing that kind of stuff and have done a lot of it. I'd love to do something like that. Examples article ideas:

- Mapcore opinion of the X360 launch. Will X360 succeed? By how much?

(Who's got one...what are the good games and why are they good? etc)

- Game review of latest and greatest PC or Console game (pretty straight forward)

- ESRB ratings relevancy and opinion on violence controversy

- Mapcorians experiences with Steam/downloadable games. How will this impact consoles? Do you play X360 arcade games? Do you buy X360 downloadable content? Do you think PC gaming will shift more and more to downloadable purchase instead of retail boxed games? etc.

etc.

Just throwing out the idea. The good thing is, we can do this at our own pace and put up articles as we see fit, not be pressed for time/deadlines.

well...i don't think we are becoming a news site, so we don't really need links to external websites and newsy stuff...there is no full staff like at PlanetHalflife or whatnot...

Just thinking about the center panel. latest forum threads won't really attract new people or make us "betterererer"...maybe having cool screenshots...

wait...idea brewing...this would take work, coordination yada yada, but what about a "Mapcore Article" or "Mapcore Analysis" or "Mapcore Review" every couple weeks about a hot new game or some industry development? We could possibly even conduct polls and runs some threads for members to comment on a particular topic, then we write up a good article on the subject with results of our quantitative/qualitative analysis/opinions. In the end, this could be a "hardcore gamer / game-designer" opinion about industry topic. Even a game review.

The point? it might be somethign worth reading to outsiders and could help "promote" mapcore a bit more.

Personally, I love writing that kind of stuff and have done a lot of it. I'd love to do something like that. Examples article ideas:

- Mapcore opinion of the X360 launch. Will X360 succeed? By how much?

(Who's got one...what are the good games and why are they good? etc)

- Game review of latest and greatest PC or Console game (pretty straight forward)

- ESRB ratings relevancy and opinion on violence controversy

- Mapcorians experiences with Steam/downloadable games. How will this impact consoles? Do you play X360 arcade games? Do you buy X360 downloadable content? Do you think PC gaming will shift more and more to downloadable purchase instead of retail boxed games? etc.

etc.

Just throwing out the idea. The good thing is, we can do this at our own pace and put up articles as we see fit, not be pressed for time/deadlines.

Reviews are a good idea i think. Just gotta collect user experiences in a thread, and someone who can write reviews pretty well (like you or taylor for example) sum it up and put it on front page.

I like it. Immensely :) Could be tricky to moderate if its a forum discussion, and would need a fair bit of editing if it was to be put into some sort of article format, but it's a neat idea.

i would love writing some articles for the frontpage, maybe having a system where articles can be submitted (to be approved by the moderators) would be best for this.

Great idea