von*ferret

Level Design Help Files

Never come across that before Vaya, sorry. I guess you haven't been fiddling with the advance compile settings or anything? Anything you may have accidentally deleted from the params? Have you tried just changing the settings to see if it's any different? Oh and I guess the obvious question -- you don't have any leaks do you?

Now for my question!

So I got my first SSD the other day and I bloody love it! Did a complete and long overdue re-installation of windows etc. etc.

I've installed CS:GO and the SDK on the SSD because I use it so frequently.

Now, when CS:GO has to restart a map because I've run "nav_analyze" or "buildcubemaps", the loading bar fills up as if the map's about to reload but then I'm dropped to desktop. Does anyone else get this?

The only (possibly far fetched) explanation I could come up with is that it's something about how the SSD handles overwrites of the old nav or cubemap files?

My CS:GO is installed on my SSD..I've had that booting out issue a couple times when building navs (but not always!) have you checked what console says just before you're booted out? I don't rebuild often so I've never been too bothered about that. Maybe validate the game/editor cache as that's everyone's fix for such issues :) Did you move CS:GO or reinstall it?

---

Lighting issue

Screenshots for reference

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=288421069 (notice that the green of the light is still showing even though the light_entity is doing nothing else!)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=288421030 - props/skybox still lit but brushes 100% dark 

• No leaks - map is in a solid (hollow) 1 brush skybox
  • tried different complies (full, fast, normal)- ensuring Vrad is on each time. What are the default parameters for vrad?, might paste over them even though I've not changed them knowingly.

Issue started when I added my first two cube maps, a couple light_entities and added a 3d skybox (deleted both maps and the camera now while trying to fix this)

Might be something really simple but I'm not finding it. Next step is probably going to be copy/pasting to a new VMF file...

I've got a little question regarding lighting:

I started creating a little environment to test my abilities of lighting, detailing and stuff. And here is the noob: How do i make a proper night setting? Which skybox and light_env settings shoud i use? I can't find anything helpful on the interwebz about this. :( CS:GO SDK btw.

Thanks Vaya, I re-installed from a backup so validating the data's probably a good shout!

Those screenshots look more like a dynamic lighting problem than anything else to me. Do you have your light_directional, light_env, env_sun and shadow_control entities all set up correctly (or whatever their defaults are, for the sake of testing)?

My default params for $light_exe are -game $gamedir $path$file

El_Exodus, unfortunately there are no default night skyboxes shipped with CS:GO, so the entity settings aren't well documented. Try giving the light_env a silvery blue colour and a low brightness like 15 or 20 maybe? If your map is set in a built up area you'll want to do most of the lighting with point lights anyway I guess. If you do some googling you should be able to find some nighttime skyboxes, maybe from fpsbanana or somewhere like that. If you can't find the perfect one at least it'll be useful as a placeholder.

Edited by text_fish

I've got a little question regarding lighting:

I started creating a little environment to test my abilities of lighting, detailing and stuff. And here is the noob: How do i make a proper night setting? Which skybox and light_env settings shoud i use? I can't find anything helpful on the interwebz about this. :( CS:GO SDK btw.

There are a few nice skyboxes available here, made by Firegod522.

And they come with a txt document containing matching settings. You can still tweak afterwards off course, but at least it'll get you started.

Here's a new editor for vmt and vtf files. It's still in beta phase, but since it's pretty stable and I've just got the ok to spread the word about it, I'm gonna post it here: VMT Editor

It's made by gira-x with the help of Yanzl. 

Nice. Didn't know the first post gets updated sometimes without people replying to this topic :) Unless I missed that as well ofc.

It's more of a recent thing. ;) Keep the links coming, plenty of more space for more useful resources!

Since tools are apparently posted here, I might as well post mine, Compile Pal.

It's a wrapper for the source map compiling tools that provides easy configuration and better UI.

zMTThlY.png

It's got things like batch compile support, basic automatic file packing (for prototyping) and progress display on the taskbar:

http://a.pomf.se/ephara.mp4

Downloads are maintained here:

https://github.com/ruarai/CompilePal

Since tools are apparently posted here, I might as well post mine, Compile Pal.

It's a wrapper for the source map compiling tools that provides easy configuration and better UI.

zMTThlY.png

It's got things like batch compile support, basic automatic file packing (for prototyping) and progress display on the taskbar:

http://a.pomf.se/ephara.mp4

Downloads are maintained here:

https://github.com/ruarai/CompilePal

That looks very cool but it does literally nothing when I run it :(

using win7 64bit

That looks very cool but it does literally nothing when I run it :(

using win7 64bit

Huh. Do you have the latest .NET framework? I am also using win7 64bit so this is strange.

yep that was the problem, it works now! thx :)