Source Engine Upgrade on its way.

Tequila

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I could stand playing with the film grain. Maybe in a new game, but not in my beloved DOD. Granted the screenshots make it look worse than in the actual movie, I just don't think I would enjoy playing with it (if it looked like the effect in the screenshots)

Put it in a new game, but don't take an existing game and change its complete look and feel. Its like if they took CS and then made it look like an Anime (though the cel-shaded Bender Models from Long ago, made CS rather enjoyable). It just seems out of place to put it in DOD, especially in First Person.

Before you jump on my back, yeah I know that dod is only just a testing ground and what you see is not the final product. I quite enjoy the Motion Blur & Depth of Field, and maybe to some extent I might enjoy the Film Grain, as long as it doesn't look as bad as this: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/ ... ain-on.jpg - something that looks like its out of Magazine Scan

I don't think I could stand playing with the film grain. Maybe in a new game, but not in my beloved DOD. Granted the screenshots make it look worse than in the actual movie, I just don't think I would enjoy playing with it (if it looked like the effect in the screenshots)

Put it in a new game, but don't take an existing game and change its complete look and feel. Its like if they took CS and then made it look like an Anime (though the cel-shaded Bender Models from Long ago, made CS rather enjoyable). It just seems out of place to put it in DOD, especially in First Person.

Before you jump on my back, yeah I know that dod is only just a testing ground and what you see is not the final product. I quite enjoy the Motion Blur & Depth of Field, and maybe to some extent I might enjoy the Film Grain, as long as it doesn't look as bad as this: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/ ... fects/film

grain-on.jpg - something that looks like its out of Magazine Scan

It's all optional though, so it doesn't matter at all if you don't like it. Just turn that component off.

Yeah, I was saying in #mapcore last night how all this stuff would pretty much make Source the number one platform for creating actual good machinima on. The film grain does seem like the booby of the four effects though; the other three have so much more potential -- especially colour balance.

All we really need is more powerful recording abilities. You know, like the ability to record a scene, then go back to the beginning and record yourself doing something else in the same scene -- kind of like the "ghost" racers you'd get in Mario Kart and such. You could produce some seriously cool stuff all by yourself rather than having to either do some heavy entity work in Hammer or get a bunch of friends to act it out.

But film grain doesn't make sense first person.

It's a game. None of it makes sense.

Fiction can still make sense.:mad:

I forgot all about the color correction, looks really awesome and are good for setting moods- although that is the job of the mapper... isn't it?

My fav one

Of course it can, but I tend to disassociate surface graphical effects from what should fit into the World War 2 historical canon.