Whats wrong with my textures?

Skjalg

I haven't read the other posts, so excuse me if I'm repeating someone else:

Do you have the TGA patch installed? Photoshop 7.00 broke alpha channel support - you need to download the 7.01 patch on the Adobe website to fix that.

You didn't repeat anything, and you helped me alot :) thanks :D

Those two programs will surely help me alot too, h2.. thanks :)

But what does those two hl2 commands really do? is for replacing textures while running hl2?

edit; ah.. thanks h2 :) it helped^^

Well, here it is...

normalmap_v2_2.jpg

normalmap_v2.jpg

C & C (I have also update the first post with the updated images of the textures)

edit; I fixed the edged seam on the normal texture (i think, not really sure what you ment). And i shrunk the texture into 512x512, since the rocks were way too big... Its a bit repepitive atm, but i dont really know how to fix that.. not sure if i wanna at this stage either^^

Okay, i started working on another texture... Now, ive done mostly the same thing, seeing as the textures are very similar... Except i get this ugly look to it

normalmap_v3.jpg

normalmap_v3_2.jpg

The specular is almost completely black, but i still get the glossy effect.. what to do? Or does it look fine to your eyes? Im trying to achieve the look of rocks that dont reflect much.. It shouldnt shine at all (but still cast shadows ofc)..

:???: oh, and please C&C on the other work^^

okay, i tried the

"LightmappedGeneric"

{

"$basetexture" "cvc2/kl_castleWall2_skjalg"

"$bumpmap" "cvc2/kl_castleWall2_skjalg_normal" 

"$surfaceprop" "rock"

"$envtint" "[0.1 0.1 0.1]" 

}
But either that doesnt work or it dont have much effect.. I tried searching some forums, but i didnt find anything.. On the developer wiki they mention "$envmaptint", that didnt have any effect either... On hl2world, some guy says that i have to insert "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1 to make my alpha thing to work.
The envmap tint can be used to set how much light the surface reflects If you want that reflectivity to be determined by an anlpha channel on your normal map texture, use "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
It didnt have any effect that either... he posted this too as an example;
"LightmappedGeneric"

{

"$baseTexture" "path_to_texture_dir/your_texture"

"$bumpmap" "path_to_texture_dir/your_texture_normal"

"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1

"$envmap" "env_cubemap"

"$envmapcontrast" 1

"$envmapsaturation" 1.5

"$envmaptint" "[0.4 0.4 0.4]"

} 

But changing my whole vmt code to this didnt have any effect at all... i dont get it..

edit; i made some changes to the normal map, smoothed it out some, less detailed like the other, and it looks waay better now.. But id like to learn how to play around with the settings in that vmt.. anyone got any good tips or tricks for me? :)

Sorry about envmaptint mistake. Try putting "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 0 and envmaptint values to something huge, like 2. Make sure it looks like a mirror then. If it works make a specularity map that looks like a chess table and put "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1 . If that doesn't work there must be something wrong with normal map's alpha channel. If there's a problem with alpha you can save it as seperate vtf file and use $ENVMAPMASK. Damn, this doesn't seem to be helpful but you can try it. Make sure you place env_cubemaps and build them ingame.

try making your normal map a little less strong and noisy

Ive done it already (read edit at the bottom of the post). It worked to some degree, but it didnt really get the look i was after...

@h2

Thanks for the tip, its actually really helpful... I havent tried any of those things...