Autodesk aqcuires Alias!

NRG

ok.. so.. what are your thoughts on Autodesk buying out Alias?

I gather there aren't much Maya users here?

At home, I personally have switched from Max to XSI.. so this doesn't effect me.. yet...

But what does this translate to Max and Maya users?

Is there going to be a future hybrid? Or is Maya going to be regeared toward strictly film while Max remains geared towards gaming?

What are your thoughts?

If you are a Max or Maya user.. this acuisition could have alot of impact on the future releases you use to build mods and such..

Cheers,

NRG

I normally work with Max but can work perfectly fine with Maya too, so whatever happens I can live with it altho I preffer Max over Maya

I dont think theyll dump any of the 2 nor make a hybrid, that would be stupid and would alienate both user groups, they might only shift Maya more to animation or movies or something yeah. Fine by me.

Or they might take some of Mayas functionalitity and use it to enhance their Max

Or like some people say theyll raise Maya's price so its more in line with Max again..

Itll take years before youre going to feel the effects of this I think and I dont think theyll change their own Max so Im ok with the news :)

I've used Max for years and I've never used Maya enough to pass serious judgement on it. I know people in the film and tv business who swear by it and while I use Max more for high poly scenes I just didn't feel comfortable enough with Maya to stick with it.

I may be more inclined to give Maya a try if there will be more functionality now between both packages but unless there are drastic changes made to Max I doubt I'll change unless work called for it.

Really really smart move from Autodesk... games companies were starting to slip away from Max and into Maya, and now they own both the pies.

Both progies are pretty good, although I haven't used Maya *that* much... wonder if they'll start to try and converge the products, or even diverge them by making Max attractive for low-poly modellers (Handheld companies and maybe Mobile Phones soon) and Maya for the high enders (Movies and now, games).

I'd much rather Highpoly in max than maya, maybe i'm missing something.

You are missing something! Modelling in XSI :D

If you haven't given it a serious shot.. you should.. alot of the poly modelling techniques integrated in that baby simply rocks the boat hard!

The reality is that all the major packages out there can come up with simular results.. I guess it all boils down to workflow and end user talent.. To each his own I suppose.

Cheers,

NRG

This really seems a bold move, tho not as bold as the Adobe Macromedia thing, since Autodesk is way bigger than Alias, something that Adobe was not when compared to Macromedia.

I'm really pleased about the fact that Alias can have their hands on Autodesks bigger R&D budget and better company management.