KIIIA

The random model thread!

Always shoot with RAW, for characters, shoot inside with a good light setup and a neutral background so you can mask out the object you want, and use a tripod :P Always bring a macbet chart and create a color profile, color correct your photos in adobe camera raw or similar. Remove vignetting and chromatic abberation, but don't sharpen the images as it adds artifacts and noise and don't correct the lens distortion since agisoft compensates for that during alignment :)

That's some really good advice, thanks!

I think its the perspective distorting it (it is a curved staircase after all...) but does the upper half bow downwards a little?

http://i.imgur.com/xIc7WHf.jpg

Started meshing my Unreal Tournament level. Probably prematurely but I will be able to get some glamor shots more quickly. Good exercise.

Edited by Sigma

I think its the perspective distorting it (it is a curved staircase after all...) but does the upper half bow downwards a little?

Yes it is, slightly. Almost everything is curved actually... ^^'

Ortho views:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/39/1443103424-1.png

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/39/1443103424-2.png

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/39/1443103423-3.png

Edited by leplubodeslapin
Failed links

Goddamn gorgeous! Polycount/texture size? I need to push myself to make more detailed assets like that!

Thank you very much. Yeah ... well it's a quite expensive but i did my best to reduce this. The thing is that i'm not using a normalmap (because of the lighting issues it brings), so everything is in the geo in order to make nice curved reflections when the texturing will be done.

So, the model is in 3 parts :

So, 20 530 tris in total for the whole stair, it's quite a lot but i think it's worth it. I'm glad with the result i get for now, I still need to work on the collision model and the texturing obviously.

Thank you very much. Yeah ... well it's a quite expensive but i did my best to reduce this. The thing is that i'm not using a normalmap (because of the lighting issues it brings), so everything is in the geo in order to make nice curved reflections when the texturing will be done.

That's actually not a bad thing as there is a discussion on polycount regarding placing information in a texture map (normals) versus just simply modeling the geometry and adjusting the vertex normals to properly reflect the desired lighting and smoothing outcomes. You might take a look at it here.

That's actually not a bad thing as there is a discussion on polycount regarding placing information in a texture map (normals) versus just simply modeling the geometry and adjusting the vertex normals to properly reflect the desired lighting and smoothing outcomes. You might take a look at it here.

That's a very interesting subject, especially on Source Engine where you want to avoid using Normalmaps as much as you can :)

I didn't know that you can edit the normals of your vertices, i'm going to find it out how i can do that on blender (i found this, I think that's the good stuff). I used more the method of adding edgeloops, for example on the steps :

1443220822-sans-titre.png1443220840-sans-titre.png1443221125-sans-titre.png

And i use sharp edges to define sort of smoothing groups everywhere, i don't let the software choose for me what should be smooth and what shouldn't :

v7goUF8.gif

Thanks for this. I've always preferred using nice low polies with well adjusted vertex normals. Still makes me wonder if there's is a significant performance impact by using more geo instead of normal maps.

New here. Technical illustrator by trade. Been messing with fractals for the past year or so. Some results seem suitable for use as maps or backgrounds. I don't really know about game production, so not sure if this type of art is even pertinent. I have several examples I'd like to post. Let me know if I'm posting in the wrong thread. Thanks. JJ

comic.jpg

New here. Technical illustrator by trade. Been messing with fractals for the past year or so. Some results seem suitable for use as maps or backgrounds. I don't really know about game production, so not sure if this type of art is even pertinent. I have several examples I'd like to post. Let me know if I'm posting in the wrong thread. Thanks. JJ

Thought I'd toss another example up in here to see if I can generate any feedback.

root.bmp