KIIIA

The random model thread!

Looks awesome, is an amount of polygons like that for a bike okay in source? Just asking since Valve seems to half-ass models a lot and skip out on detail, unless they're keeping it really low poly on purpose

I think he's making the scene in UE4? I mean it is in an pretty enclosed space which means that the hallways and rooms mean you can easily not render most of the environment at once. 

Looks great! Although that seat looks harder than Dr.Breen's rule over City 17

LMAO! Thanks man.

I think he's making the scene in UE4? I mean it is in an pretty enclosed space which means that the hallways and rooms mean you can easily not render most of the environment at once. 

Looks awesome, is an amount of polygons like that for a bike okay in source? Just asking since Valve seems to half-ass models a lot and skip out on detail, unless they're keeping it really low poly on purpose

I'm making this in Unreal 4. I think this bicycle has more polys in it than the entirety of HL2.

Looks really good Pogo, would be nice to see updates on the scene. One comment though, I think you should perhaps tone down the specular or increase the roughness on the paint. At the moment it looks a bit like fresh oil paint or 2pac. No paint from the 60's/70's on an old bike survives with that level of gloss. The same probably applies to the tires, the rubber tends to wear to a very matte finish on the areas touching the road and get covered in fine dust on the parts that don't. If you aren't aiming for something close to photorealism though and it's more an artistic choice, feel free to ignore!

not sure if this thread is for asking questions but any Zbrush users know how to approach high-to-low-poly when there's a bunch of holes that you have to convert into an opacity map? (colors are the desired low poly)

rR8Ebh7.jpg

Edited by kinggambit

not sure if this thread is for asking questions but any Zbrush users know how to approach high-to-low-poly when there's a bunch of holes that you have to convert into an opacity map? (colors are the desired low poly)

rR8Ebh7.jpg

Baking pieces separately, but that would be my general advice not in any way specific to Zbrush..

Actually, this is something I could use some understanding on as well. So aside from exploded mesh baking and setting the different UV islands to different smooth groups (standard baking practices)... what does one do differently than a normal, non-open mesh?

Made my first model ever. I think I did an OK job with 0 experience with working with meshes(besides source 2 alpha & beta), and no experience with 3ds max. It's a barrel, clearly, but there is much wrong with it. The texture doesn't tile worth crap, and the baked shadows and highlights are way too pronounced. I made it over a month ago, but hopefully I can make the time to create a 6 panel wooden door. I'm still trying to wrap my head around working with meshes, like how to create cuts in 3ds max so I can actually start forming the panels for said door. While I'd like to figure it out on my own, I may not be able to, and tips are greatly appreciated!

Garbage_starter.png

Maybe run through a tutorial or two to get up to speed on some different ways to use the tools in 3dsmax - I think this free 5-part series is decent for beginners. Even if you don't want to jump right into a high/low poly workflow and follow the tutorial to the letter, you can still take away some techniques about working with meshes. 

Not sure where I'd post this but I felt that making an entirely new thread wasn't a appropriate. So I thought I'd post it here: it's a Photogrammetry tutorial made by one of my colleagues at the school.

More stuff is going to come up later. Here's the Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAg1CKbpsntTTNQRCbJezFw

Always shoot with RAW, for characters, shoot inside with a good light setup and a neutral background so you can mask out the object you want, and use a tripod :P Always bring a macbet chart and create a color profile, color correct your photos in adobe camera raw or similar. Remove vignetting and chromatic abberation, but don't sharpen the images as it adds artifacts and noise and don't correct the lens distortion since agisoft compensates for that during alignment :)