KIIIA

The random model thread!

I really lost my motivation in making 3d stuff after working - only things I got done during the last 1-2 months were the lowpoly and the bake...

Yea, I have the same issue. I occasionally have some contract work which forces me to do stuff at home, but otherwise I get not much done anymore. Didn't expect it to be so difficult.

Sexy Rifle though, but I think there are some parts that are weirdly shaded. The front part of the Iron sights or that thing at the side of the scope for example.

Is it based on a concept?

Edited by AyzOn

Sexy Rifle though, but I think there are some parts that are weirdly shaded. The front part of the Iron sights or that thing at the side of the scope for example.

Is it based on a concept?

It is mainly (not entirely) based on this concept.

And indeed, the part at the side of the scope looks strange... but I guess it is caused by some cage intersection since it was not baked with a exploded mesh yet. But thanks for the feedback, will take a closer look to those parts next time :)

^^

It's amazing, i love the new kind of renders you can get with PBR, Substance Designer and all these tools that i know nothing about. Plus, your work is really neat and pretty, i love the style !

Just to understand, can you tell me how many textures/masks are being used for this ? And why are they used for ?

^^

It's amazing, i love the new kind of renders you can get with PBR, Substance Designer and all these tools that i know nothing about. Plus, your work is really neat and pretty, i love the style !

Just to understand, can you tell me how many textures/masks are being used for this ? And why are they used for ?

Thanks dude!

Here's my Substance graph. It looks confusing as hell but when you start out with a Substance, it's simple, and it just slowly builds up into this ridiculous thing. You will understand it when you come to make your own Substances. Also,think of each Substance node here as a different layer in Photoshop.

vacuum_cleaner_01_substance.jpg

I'm using one generic material that I set up that lets me add basic wear and tear, including a generic grunge and some scratches (you adjust one slider from 0 (off) to 1 (fully on) and the scratches/grunge will show up on the material procedurally). This basic material also has lots of options for different metalness values, roughness values, and diffuse colour, so I can make a variety of material types with one generic material. This works for flattish materials, but anything more than that and you'd wanna make a new material for it. For example, I needed a different material for the cloth, so I grabbed a texture off CGtextures and set it up through Substance Designer to create a normal map, AO, albedo etc.

That gives me the basic materials, which are blended together using a colour ID map which differentiates between materials. I then add in a bunch of edge wear and dirt masks to add in further detail. That's all there is to it really. Here's the coloured high poly:

vacuum_cleaner_01_materials.jpg

Oh BTW the Substance viewport is rubbish, I'd recommend displaying in Marmoset or, ideally, UE4.

Edited by PogoP

Everyone, hold your horses, this is the biggest thing that happened to this thread since this thread.

Ok, so this is awesome and I'm really proud, scroll down to the second screenshot there:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?40500-QUAKE-LIVE-Update-23-April-21-2015

Now, look at this:

Those are some fancy smancy low poly keys and they are now in an official game =)

The red key, master key is my own design and I'm glad it's in the game, even though not used in a map yet.

These are the keys, but with more high res textures, same poly count. They look kinda bad with those textures, they look better with the low quality version, but it's to show the design.

keys.jpg

Edited by Hipshot