The random model thread!

KIIIA

Final HP

EAgD71ml.jpg

And a first quick bake, I might change some stuff of the lowpoly model as Im at only 6197tris right now which is way below my budget.

Also theres obviously no magazine yet.

The UVs are currently completly automatically generated so Im kinda suprised that the bake turned out that good. I actually thought there would be huge errors.

hdaBklel.jpg

Edited by AyzOn

• 2 weeks later...

Nice gun but 4k sounds excessive. Pretty sure you could do kickass skin with half that resolution. 5.7k tris on the other hand sounds average/slightly low. Could have spent more polies on the details which are right in the players face like the screw and that corrugated thingy. instead of making it completely normal map.

With weapons it's common mistake of artist to spread details evenly so it looks good on portfolio when for actual games (and people judging your portfolio) it's important to focus the detail on the things which are closest to the first person camera (polies aswell as texture density).

Made this today. Found a cool reference online and decided to model based on just a reference. Also, I haven't touched Maya in years, so I figured it was worth a try to use Maya instead of 3ds max.

LC0zbLd.png

Bonus point for those who knows where the model reference came from.

Nice gun but 4k sounds excessive. Pretty sure you could do kickass skin with half that resolution. 5.7k tris on the other hand sounds average/slightly low. Could have spent more polies on the details which are right in the players face like the screw and that corrugated thingy. instead of making it completely normal map.

With weapons it's common mistake of artist to spread details evenly so it looks good on portfolio when for actual games (and people judging your portfolio) it's important to focus the detail on the things which are closest to the first person camera (polies aswell as texture density).

I agree with you on both.^^

I chose the 4k textures because it looks better on renderings.

The Rifle has actually even a purpose so that guy who uses it for its game will most likely scale it down to whatever he wants.

I scaled it down and it looks just fine with 2k textures as well.

Ill probably texture the next rifle directly on 2k textures as it doesnt seem like anyone will need those 4k textures. Also the .psd files are fucking huge, all together over 1,5GB.

Before I textured the Rifle I actually thought it would be possible to see more of the rear sights so I made them a little more fancy (more texture space and more polies) but it turned out to be a complete waste.

I should have put that work into the part of the model direct in front of the players view.

I´ll have to pay much more attention to those things next time.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but all I know is how to map in Hammer - what's the best program to learn quickly for creating map props? I tried Max before, and that was okay...being able to create something like a crashed car or a broken wall would be great.

I would get into Max, as it is very widely used. Either that or Maya; Maya is used just as much as Max, and there are rumours that autodesk might be discontinuing Max soon, not sure how true that is though.

Then try learning how to do some basic modelling, try cgtuts++. Your first model will probably be crap, but export it and get it into Source and learn the engine export workflow. Then just keep practicing. Good luck!

No idea where the Max rumors come from. Digital Tutors ran with a blog post about it recently but i read it before. Someone pointed out that Max is Autodesk's second best selling software (don't remember which was number 1 but it wasn't Maya). So i think it's safe to say that it's all bollocks.

• FMPONE unpinned this topic
  • Radu pinned this topic