KIIIA

The random model thread!

Unwrap in 3ds max is really awesome compared to Maya where you need to add few custom tools. I don't know if your book already talk about but if you have time, take a look to the Graphite modeling tools (something like), in the topper right section (A folder with a lightbulb). You'll gain access to some very usefull tools (paint connect, etc ).

GUID-D43D9C8D-87A0-4F2A-A39A-C341FA1B528

Edited by kikette

Unwrap in 3ds max is really awesome compared to Maya where you need to add few custom tools. I don't know if your book already talk about but if you have time, take a look to the Graphite modeling tools (something like), in the topper right section (A folder with a lightbulb). You'll gain access to some very usefull tools (paint connect, etc ).

GUID-D43D9C8D-87A0-4F2A-A39A-C341FA1B528

I have not gotten into them, but I knew they were there. I want to try them though. How different are the tools in there from say the regular command panel on the right?

Edited by Sigma

In fact, they aren't so different, they're here to complete the existing tools since the basics one are mixed with... it's more like the bonus tools in Maya.. Autodesk doesn't know were to put his new feature and put them here or in the graphite tools. You'll be able to make complex selection quickly (Dot ring selection, etc), you have the Swift loop tool wich create an edge loop were you want (a basic thing for maya ^^').. This kind of stuff =)

That's quite lowpoly, which isn't a bad thing. But I guess the texture is 2048²? Maybe you could try something different like 2048x512 or even 4096x1024. I guess that would be more effectiv for a model like a knife. Can we take a look at the uv layout? I'm quite interested how it looks right now :)

It's been so long that I remember almost nothing about making this. A couple years back I wanted to learn how to model for TF2 so I could make a few custom hats and weapons. Unfortunately in the middle of the process my motherboard fried and I completely forgot about it. After I had figured out the basics of navigating this is the first thing I started making with blender before my PC had died. I was starting to recreate my Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard. Now that I look I remember that the keys were messed up and I was researching some way to change them all. EDIT: Oh right! Now I remember. I wanted to make some custom models for a Source Film Maker project.

Le9lDD9.png

Edited by MrSkellyBones

Hmmm, on that kind of keyboard, key aren't this flat =)

One of my friends pointed that out when I showed it to him as I was making it XD. The keys in the model are indented (it's hard to tell from that screen) but they are concave from all 4 sides instead of being cylindrical =S I remember before I stopped working on it I was looking into a way to edit all the keys at once so I wouldn't have to redo each one individually. After I've done some tutorials to brush back up, I might revisit it and fix it. =)

EDIT: Here is the keyboard I was trying to model... and am currently typing on.

cJFhQrc.jpg

Edited by MrSkellyBones

Nice :)! Is it based on a concept or did you design it on your own? I'd probably make some of the shapes, e.g. in the back less boxy. Weapons are usually designed to be picked up fast and easy, without hurting yourself on sharp edges, so you probably wanna smooth some of the areas where the soldier would grab the weapon. But very clean modelling!