KIIIA

The random model thread!

Very behind on the turtle, I am not very good at sculpting so I used displacement maps to get to this point but also there are special concerns: must stay under 1,000,000 triangles and it must be u/v'd for 3d printing (full color sandstone). It took along time to figure out exactly what to do to get high detail and stay under that triangle count. So that means no highpoly/lowpoly and no subdivisions outside of Max: there is uneven triangle density due to subdividing only along the cracks in the shell. Very odd but it should come out fine in the physical world. Off to finish it, will be a few days late but that is ok.

turtle_wip_clay2.png

Here is bonus model, probably the most detailed I have ever done:

shelving_unit.PNG

Trying out different ideas for an ancient greek/roman-esq type scene. Most of my references for mood, lighting, color palette, composition, are from those awesome old master paintings. Focusing on the details too early kills environments for me (maybe I'll finish this one emot_shakehead.gif ), sooo I'm just trying to get a good feel for the foundations of the scene at the moment.

It may be a bit too early but, as always, any crits/advice will be appreciated.

yzgNX.jpg

as for the column texturing, you have overlayed AO over some texture ? or did smth more with it ?

Still using the test bakes I did (just ao and normal on it.) I knew I wanted to start on an environment using theme so I figured I'd hold off on the texturing until the scene had progressed more.

Finished highpoly model of X-Com1 rifle's magazine:

1.gif

Ref pic: :hurg:

BIGOBS01.GIF

Here is what I ended up with after following along with 3dbuzz's SOCOM pistol tutorial.

When I came to the end of it, I realized that we weren't priming the model for game use. Would definitely have to trim down a bit on the tri-count, which rests around 29,900 =0 I kind of want to move on to something else, but what would it take for this to take to the next level? Go super high-poly? Or trim the fat and work on textures? Hmm.

9m1iT.jpg

IBsQP.jpg

Composition blockout. Still racking my brain on how to balance the lower left corner with all that geometry in the upper right. The painting I'm using as my reference has all of these donkeys and stuff leading the eye back to the main area of focus, as well as balancing out the overall composition, but I don't want to model donkeys :interseting:

cNasE.jpg

Bit early for much feedback maybe but its based on this bit of concept art http://goo.gl/rX4p3. Going a bit more Fantasy with the setting rather than post apocalyptic, think shadow of the colossus or last guardian maybe.

[attachment=0]FantasyCourtyardEnvironment_21_06_2012_Screenshot1.jpg[/attachment]

sarge nice concept dude, but it lacks of the selling point for me at this moment

let me be clear I didn't do the concept lol just one I picked out (wish I could draw half that good ha).