The random model thread!

KIIIA

Trying out different ideas for an ancient greek/roman-esq type scene. Most of my references for mood, lighting, color palette, composition, are from those awesome old master paintings. Focusing on the details too early kills environments for me (maybe I'll finish this one emot_shakehead.gif ), sooo I'm just trying to get a good feel for the foundations of the scene at the moment.

It may be a bit too early but, as always, any crits/advice will be appreciated.

yzgNX.jpg

as for the column texturing, you have overlayed AO over some texture ? or did smth more with it ?

Still using the test bakes I did (just ao and normal on it.) I knew I wanted to start on an environment using theme so I figured I'd hold off on the texturing until the scene had progressed more.

Here is what I ended up with after following along with 3dbuzz's SOCOM pistol tutorial.

When I came to the end of it, I realized that we weren't priming the model for game use. Would definitely have to trim down a bit on the tri-count, which rests around 29,900 =0 I kind of want to move on to something else, but what would it take for this to take to the next level? Go super high-poly? Or trim the fat and work on textures? Hmm.

9m1iT.jpg

IBsQP.jpg

Composition blockout. Still racking my brain on how to balance the lower left corner with all that geometry in the upper right. The painting I'm using as my reference has all of these donkeys and stuff leading the eye back to the main area of focus, as well as balancing out the overall composition, but I don't want to model donkeys :interseting:

cNasE.jpg

I don't really agree with that an environment piece has to have a totally rad focus/selling point or so. If you look at big games today I feel like that is one of the problems where every room has to have this huge epic shit going on.

There's two problems with this IMO:

- You won't be able to finish up what you started and you end up with some half assed crappy thing that is neither epic and especially doesn't even have an even quality.

- You succeed to do this and the epicness take out each other and you end up with no more "WOW" effect than if it would have been a generic corridor shooter.

To me it's all about contrast and gradients between awesome super awesome stuff and "regular" stuff. I wouldn't want to use regular or generic really, but without those (that I think should build up the bulk of any game really) the epic stuff doesn't mean anything TBH.

So to actually get to the point of what you can do a scene that is considered "generic" from that perspective and instead execute it awesomely in a fairly short amount of time and even preferably be able to record a video and walk around in your scene and show that it has a consistent quality, that is to me way more interesting than being able to make a one or two screenshot environment that looks good, but as soon as you rotate your camera 10 degrees it's crap. I think it's moved way too much in that direction where people are getting told they should only build up their environment for 1 or two camera angles... While that is not what you would have in a good game (with the exception of a very few).

I'd extend on that concept and try to build a whole interesting world out of that (doesn't mean it has to be a square mile of content). :)

The better your "generic" stuff is, the better 90%+ of your game will play and look :) Make the generic stuff not feel generic and you're there.

Anyway.. rant mode off