KIIIA

The random model thread!

It's when people post stuff like that I don't want to showcase my own work... >.> Looks awesome though. :)

I made the holes on my trashbin bigger, as suggested. I have to figure out a way to fill the holes with black... My PS skills aren't really anything to brag of. Oh, and you can see the normal map on the actual trash bag doing its work now. I'm fairly happy with it actually.

trashbin2.jpg

Bunglo - sweet dude, now lp it and bake it and show it again :D

The Vulture - try to bake out a height map, so the holes sould be black and you can use the height map to select the stuff you want

Texture update. Started on the top piece. Not quite sure if I like the rust. If anything I think it needs to be more subtle. Also threw a temporary spec on it.

trashbin3.jpg

@knj: Interesting. I'll try that!

EDIT: Copy/paste from CryDev:

I'm gonna call this finished. Want to move on to something else. There's a lot more material tweaks to be done, and the green turned out too saturated and bright, but this will do for now. I don't have a gloss map so I might do that later... And the material really needs to be setup specifically for the scene it's in, because the environment map on trashbag itself looks really weird if there's no light around it. Whenever there's light, it looks fine, but if there's no light the env map shines really bad... And that makes no sense. :cheesy:

C&C welcome as always. (:

trashbin1.jpg

trashbin3.jpg

trashbin2.jpg

Also rendered out a picture from Marmoset Toolbag. I just downloaded the trial version of the software so I'm haven't tried all that much yet. But everything seems pretty straightforward, certainly awesome to play around with.

trashbin.jpg

Throw some more colors on that thang to break up all the green.

Some sculpts for the column. The base piece might be a tad over done, I'll have to see how it looks in the morning.

H7hbU.jpg

VmPaJ.jpg

p5CRt.jpg

Throw some more colors on that thang to break up all the green.

The reference is all green though... Except the rust and the other miscolored parts, which I already got in there. Not sure if more colors would make any sense.

Bunglo, over done ? from several meters you won't see any damage, oh but if your target is more fresh and new look then it's ok

Ha, yeah. I don't want this thing to be destroyed, just general wear and tear. I'm going to be rotating these pieces around a centered pivot point to create the entire column, so I need to keep in mind how obvious any tiling will be as well.

The reference is all green though... Except the rust and the other miscolored parts, which I already got in there. Not sure if more colors would make any sense.

I mean in terms of how monotone it is. You can probably get away with the top of the can but I think the grill might benefit from subtly added value and hue changes. Keep it green but try subtle variations of green/yellow here and there. Experiment with other subtle color additions as well, blue/red might add to it, just experiment ;)

Bunglo, if that column is to be used in an animation/render/game, you definitely want to have a broken column somewhere, so the capital can be seen at eye level. In all it's finial glory. it would be a shame to have that awesome detail up at the top, where a player can't see it as clearly.

James

Those nicks look really nice! There's a couple places on the straight pieces that look like pock marks, very round spherical holes that don't quite fit in with the rest of the damage.

-----------

turtle_pre_Uv.png

Coudn't quite figure out how to layout the 'plates' on the shell cleanly but that's ok, it's not supposed to be 100% accurate to a box turtle anyway.

I linked up the neck and front legs and the tail and back legs and am finishing the UV now (the legs was started as a single piece and instanced), then into mudbox. I will try to do the plates in there. Should have the final sometime tomorrow or next day.

The webbing could have nicer topology but I'm not gonna sweat it. Here's a closeup without NURMs.

turtle_webbing_front.png

@James - I'm still debating if I want this to simply be a prop or have it evolve into an environment, though it looks like the later might be more likely. My main concern with the capital being at the ground level where the player would see it is keeping the vert count in check and it not looking like crap.

@Happy - Thanks for the crits, I'll see if I can't chip up those holes to make them more consistent with the other weathering.

I've been doing some tests over the past few days, trying to find ways of bringing the tri-count down but still getting the model to read well. I mashed together some quick uvs and test bakes for this before I commit to one direction.

These images show three different versions of the same column:

- Version A is modeled in it's entirety, including the leaves, no alpha textures.

- Version B is a combination of mesh, "clever" baking, and alpha textures.

- Version C is like version B, but with more geometry replaced by alpha textures.

Version A is out of the question simply because of how many tris the thing takes up. Using around 17,500 tris, the leaves taking up almost the entire amount (15,500 tris), even if I managed to optimize them more the tri count would still be retarded and it would most likely look retarded as well. I only show this version in the shots below for comparison to the other two.

Version B at 5,600 tris, a marked improvement but I'm still not too sure about this number being low enough.

Version C at 3,260 tris is something I'm far more comfortable with.

With all that said, before I commit and move on ahead with final UVs, bakes, and begin texturing, I'd really like any thoughts or crits you all may have on this.

5O9lV.jpg

The column closest to the camera is version A, the middle is B, and last is C.

I5Djq.jpg

C is closest, B is in the middle, A is last.

TTeMS.jpg

Version A

D8MhN.jpg

Version B

eO3su.jpg

Version C

nOAiO.jpg

On version C I'd remove a few edges on the leaves and simplify those tiny cylindrical objects between the bottom and middle row of leaves and instead add a couple of edges to each side of the top of the column.

Right now you have some unnecessary edge loops on the top part and behind the top leaves (where you can hardly see the base of the pillar anyhow).

I think if you just look at where the most prominent silhouette edges, those should always be your areas of focus IMO and where you spend most of your budget.

Here's an obvious pic I did just to demonstrate: (I do see the example on the left so very often in games and it always makes me a little :sad:)

tridistribution.jpg

With that said, it's a very nice column :)