KIIIA

The random model thread!

First model that's going into a map. It's supposed to be some computery equipment kind of thing for my NS2 level. I think the basic geometry is done(that is if my assumption that small lights and a screen thing can be done fairly well with texture and bumpmaps etc. ?). It has 308 tris and 146 polys:

compthingwip01.jpg

It's supposed to be placed in the opening here:

spacing01.jpg

Is it too simple? Is it not? Also remember I spent all day working on this(since I'm a noob and all things take time) and trying to get a decent UVW Map done too(which I actually managed to pull off so now I'm practicing texturing as that's what I really suck at!!) so don't be too hard on me :P

maybe the grass scaled a little too large

are those alders? if so their trunks are pretty fat, at least compared to where I live, maybe they need to be scaled down a little too

Those are actually Birch trees that I made a while ago. They're based on real world approximations though and it was meant to be the largest of all the Birch models.

It could be the editor making it look a bit large or the scaling on the vegetation tool made it a bit too big.

Think I might redo the grass though, going to aim at something more along the lines of Hell's Highway:

BROTHERS-IN-ARMS-HELL-R70537-3.jpg

First model that's going into a map. It's supposed to be some computery equipment kind of thing for my NS2 level. I think the basic geometry is done(that is if my assumption that small lights and a screen thing can be done fairly well with texture and bumpmaps etc. ?). It has 308 tris and 146 polys:

compthingwip01.jpg

Is it too simple? Is it not? Also remember I spent all day working on this(since I'm a noob and all things take time) and trying to get a decent UVW Map done too(which I actually managed to pull off so now I'm practicing texturing as that's what I really suck at!!) so don't be too hard on me :P

You can further optimize it like this:

computerthingfix.png

If you count the triangles on the side, you save one less by doing this. Try to connect your vertices to corners instead of ending it in the middle of an edge. It's not gonna hurt your performance for this model, but if you don't focus doing stuff like this it might add up real quickly for a whole scene (or at least that's what my teachers say). You might be able to connect some vertices at the top as well, but this will screw with your 'curvature' of your display so I don't recommend that suggestion in this scenario as you probably won't be normal mapping over it? You probably also don't wanna be doing this cos you need an edge in your UV's or something.

Not big issues though, just some pointers ;) And it's pretty much nitpicking but if no one tells you... well, yeah... There's always more to learn.

I don't think it's too simplistic, if you added a normapmap (or bump) you could create some panels, screws and make it look assembled together. A lot is gonna depend on the texture. You could add a lever perhaps and a small grate at the bottom for some ventilation, every computer needs ventilation! But you can just texture the grate.

Oh BTW, why do you keep the side panels? From the looks of your scene, they won't be visible right? As your model fits right into the wall. So why not just delete them?

looking good Bunglo. are you going to make a lowpoly or use it for anything other than sculpting practice?

low poly tree wip for my source map i'm trying to wrap up as quick as possible. I bought a cheap, low poly tree of turbo squid but it has so many problems I started to make my own from scratch, using the purchased model as a reference.

Sculpt is for a lowpoly that I'm going to get to eventually. You tree looks good but you might want to make some of the branches a bit thicker so the silhouette carries farther. Does source support intersecting geometry? If it does, you can simply have the branches intersect with the trunk to save tris if that's ever an issue. It's also quicker in my opinion.

You can further optimize it like this:

computerthingfix.png

If you count the triangles on the side, you save one less by doing this. Try to connect your vertices to corners instead of ending it in the middle of an edge. It's not gonna hurt your performance for this model, but if you don't focus doing stuff like this it might add up real quickly for a whole scene (or at least that's what my teachers say). You might be able to connect some vertices at the top as well, but this will screw with your 'curvature' of your display so I don't recommend that suggestion in this scenario as you probably won't be normal mapping over it? You probably also don't wanna be doing this cos you need an edge in your UV's or something.

Not big issues though, just some pointers ;) And it's pretty much nitpicking but if no one tells you... well, yeah... There's always more to learn.

I don't think it's too simplistic, if you added a normapmap (or bump) you could create some panels, screws and make it look assembled together. A lot is gonna depend on the texture. You could add a lever perhaps and a small grate at the bottom for some ventilation, every computer needs ventilation! But you can just texture the grate.

Oh BTW, why do you keep the side panels? From the looks of your scene, they won't be visible right? As your model fits right into the wall. So why not just delete them?

I've done quite some work on this since last time. Dropped the rounded thing and made the whole more bulky, in a good way I think. Also think I've managed to save some tris along the way but I'm not sure as it is more detailed now and more detail will come. Will be adding some ventilation for it definitely, you'll see. As for the faces on the sides I want to keep them, as it's not only going into that opening in the wall. I want it to be able to place it on flat walls too :) Will have another wip shot ready tonight after work some time I think.

I haven't got very far on texturing(in general) so I know absolutely nothing about what normal maps, specular maps etc do. So I'm gonna have to read a whole bunch about it and then practice a lot I guess, as texturing seems to be the harder part of modeling?

Thanks for hints and tips :)

You tree looks good but you might want to make some of the branches a bit thicker so the silhouette carries farther. Does source support intersecting geometry? If it does, you can simply have the branches intersect with the trunk to save tris if that's ever an issue. It's also quicker in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't even thought of using intersecting geometry, sounds like a good method for quickly creating variations too.

I'm aiming for consistency in style and quality, not perfection so I think this is final:

tree_final_01.jpg