KIIIA

The random model thread!

5,548 posts in this topic

Can you point places which need need work / are pinching, I see some obvious ones but not that many.

Are you using max? You have a lot of wonky vertices not flowing as they should, and it's creating pinches in the sub-d surfaces. When I start getting this on my meshes, I take a step back, get rid of a few edge loops, select the problematic areas, throw a relax modifier, and start to model the shape all over with a better vertex flow.

to8WeRp.jpg

I am using blender. What does relax modifier do?

Edit. Actually some pinches you have marked are supposed to be shapes of the car.

Edited by KOLARI

I couldnt find any solition for my issue and made it out in hammer. Making a ferris wheel is easy only when its used in 3d skybox. :D

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by Pink Flamingo
JSadones likes this

3 hours ago, Pink Flamingo said:

I couldnt find any solition for my issue and made it out in hammer. Making a ferris wheel is easy only when its used in 3d skybox. :D

Screenshot_1.png

This really shouldn't be made out of brushes. If you allready made some models you should also be able to bring them into the game. Everything that is needed is on the valve developer community. Go for it.

>random model thread

>brushes

Also, listen to robot man, this type of stuff should not be made out of brushes, but know that you will be opening a can of worms in attempting to create your first model.

esspho likes this

s4ZjFki.jpg

Any experienced substance designer users have an idea of how to procedurally apply snow to the lower crevices of the model? I'm planning on adding snow to most of my exterior models.

Ambient Occlusion + Position input -> mask?

23 minutes ago, kinggambit said:

s4ZjFki.jpg

Any experienced substance designer users have an idea of how to procedurally apply snow to the lower crevices of the model? I'm planning on adding snow to most of my exterior models.

Yup that's how I'd do it. Clamp your position map with a histogram scan to wherever you need the snow to be on your mesh, and add an inverted AO. Make the snow as a separate material and add it via a material blend node.

Edited by PogoP
Sigma, kinggambit and Vorontsov like this

@KOLARI Looks great dude !!! 

I can see you're having troubles for defining which edges should be hard and which edges should be smooth.

By default, everything is flat obviously ...

mjyr72F.png

And when you smooth your object, everything is smooth, not depending from any angle between the faces

YRxhPu6.png

In Edit mode, select an edge and press CTRL + E, and then Mark Sharp

93LS4kv.png

Finally, you need to change that Edge split modifier you may have used (i'm assuming you're using it), uncheck "Edge angle" and check "Sharp Edges"

0mU6qoy.png

Then, you'll have full control over which edges are sharp and all the others will be smooth.

I hope that helps

WdO9DrG.png

Edited by leplubodeslapin
KOLARI, grapen, Vorontsov and 3 others like this

Smoothing groups are old stuff! Get on editing the vertex normals of your models :)

grapen likes this

21 minutes ago, Vorontsov said:

Smoothing groups are old stuff! Get on editing the vertex normals of your models :)

Yeah smoothing tends to fuck over shading on props sometimes in Source. It has frustrated me quite a deal.

On 11.1.2017 at 10:37 PM, kinggambit said:

s4ZjFki.jpg

I'm positive that those will look fantastic on your polar base. Imho, compared to the rest, the shovel looks a little bland. Maybe you could make it a little more interesting like in this picture

DSC01575.jpg

Also those rubber-chaines (?) should be way darker than the metal wheels.

Anyway great job. I would be interested in seeing the colission model if you feel like sharing.

Edited by esspho