The random model thread!

KIIIA

Hey, guys! Need some pointers... Trying to make a rock model in Mudbox but I'm never really happy with the result. Can someone point me in the right direction for creating them? In terms of brushes, settings etc. Thanks! Here's what I got so far.

First off are you using any reference? I think not: because concave shapes like that are very rare and generally rocks are not concave at all. Also I can still see the cube base mesh you started from. Rocks usuallyt have quite a few flat surfaces, That are eroded away by the weather. Look at nature and try to figure out how and why things end up looking like they do. Then try to replicate it. Start deforming the base mesh then scrape of parts and only when you have the overal shapes done move on to smaller details.

First off are you using any reference? I think not: because concave shapes like that are very rare and generally rocks are not concave at all. Also I can still see the cube base mesh you started from. Rocks usuallyt have quite a few flat surfaces, That are eroded away by the weather. Look at nature and try to figure out how and why things end up looking like they do. Then try to replicate it. Start deforming the base mesh then scrape of parts and only when you have the overal shapes done move on to smaller details.

Very good idea, I'll try that. Can't believe I didn't think of references myself... I still feel it's hard to get the desired look. Oh well.

Thanks for the link. I'm using Mudbox and Maya though...

I switched to zbrush now because i never was happy with my results in mudbox either. The mudbox brushes just suck. With zbrush i find it much easier to get decent results. The standard brushes are much better and it's simple to make your own too. Sure the program is intimidating at first compared to mudbox but the switch actualy was much easier then i thought. I'm really happy about my decision to learn zbrush eventualy.

You following any tuts? I can really recommend eat3d intro to ZB, covers all the basics which you NEED to learn somewhere. There's no way you can learn your way into some of ZB's functions with trial and errors, there's shit hidden under menus or tricky combinations.

I switched to zbrush now because i never was happy with my results in mudbox either. The mudbox brushes just suck. With zbrush i find it much easier to get decent results. The standard brushes are much better and it's simple to make your own too. Sure the program is intimidating at first compared to mudbox but the switch actualy was much easier then i thought. I'm really happy about my decision to learn zbrush eventualy.

Totally agree with you, but sadly there is no free edu. version for it :(

• 2 weeks later...

Procedural rocks I did following Sascha Henrichs' tutorial:

lo-high-compare_rock.pnglo-high-compare_rock2.png

The textures are an absurd resolution for now. Working on a set for a scene.

------------------

WIP fathers day present. This will be printed in 3D.

turtle_wip_clay_nurms.png

Todo: connect limbs/head/tail with webbing/skin, shell "cracks", adjust eyes/face and claws, creases in Max. Then, sculpt detail, texture, 3D print. Maybe also put it in a little 'diorama' scene with plants and whatnot.

Some scene I'm working for a 10 second video animation. I'm trying to make a scary scene. Constructional criticism is very welcome. (This is my first real 3d scene)

181358_3935513868302_1293488871_33731861_1773330619_n.jpg

P.S I'm using cinema 4D

qog9ds.jpg

there's no surprise scary comes from atmospheric effects like fog, clouds with back lighting from the moon, and sounds etc

Family_values_04.jpg

BigFish_witchhouse.jpg

you could try and make things a little less uniform and perfect feeling, make the fence bend more and break it a bit in places, give a run-down feel by adding cracks in the road and vegetation that fits better. Tree's without leaves work much better. Even if your going for realism with your scene it's a good idea to embrace the theme and go overboard a bit.

Adding a few bends on your road going up the hill would help, some ambient storytelling maybe, signs posts, beware of the dogs etc :cool: You could also add a bridge - they can be really scary and would give you journey to the building a bit more excitement.

Good luck!