Dark Messiah tease video (Source engine game)

MrH2o

"I'm really impressed how Arkane is using all Sources superior capabilities, like physics.. and.. you know, stuff" -Gabe Newell, the worlds most nerdy nerd

I think you can see from my awesome impressed face, that if I was anymore impressed about the technical aspect of this game, I'd bleed from my eyes. I love the M&M series, but Gabe can go home and make love to a railroad spike, hands down.

Thats my favorite part, he likes slips with his legs in the air, not just falls down

I guess I just mean that Havok ragdolls are looking cheap to me now and totally unconvincing, and that just a bit of canned animation here (leading into the ragdoll) would be better. He hits the ice and just goes limp at the whim of the physics engine, there's no indication that he's trying to compensate or save himself.. I mean if I hit a patch of ice like that I'd probably land on my ass and skid off the edge but I'd still be moving around and trying to save myself. Oh well.

But like I said, throwing ice down to trip people up is a cool game mechanic and I'm looking forward to what else they come up with. This game could be good fun.

he never said that, wtf you talkin about

He never used those exact words, but you can read the message pretty clear.

Besides, I have been playing the good old games for a while now, and I have come to an conclusion that ragdolls are actually more unreal than those repeatitive animations. For once in past like three years or so, I'd like to see a good death animation, and that we just threw half the animations through the window, because these gamedevelopment asshats think that physics ragdoll is cool. For instance, World of Warcraft has some pretty cool death animations, and there are plenty of them so it doesn't get repeatitive.

I hate every single one of these "rockstar" status next-gen engine satans, compare them to developers of Farcry, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Riddick, which all have awesome engines, and none of them have some wal-mart salesmen shitty smile on their face every time you hear about new hot game coming out.

Till we perfect the physics and balance the physics:animation ratio, how do I sign out of this ride?

Because they don't have a face out, that is known enough to automaticly represent the company.

You mention Farcry, a game that was initially a demo showing off whats good from the engines technical aspects.

Valve don't have to do that, they have Gabe!

Riddick had a great engine, but there weren't really any competition with Doom3-engine at the time of release.

riddick had a great engine, but was poorly optimised by comparison to doom 3. not saying doom 3 is without its flaws. every engine has many reasons why its worse and better than all the others. The only real way to sell the engine besides making games inhouse on it is to get out there and try to tell people WHY its better. Even if it is all bullshit, you still gotta try.

Because they don't have a face out, that is known enough to automaticly represent the company.

You mention Farcry, a game that was initially a demo showing off whats good from the engines technical aspects.

Valve don't have to do that, they have Gabe!

Riddick had a great engine, but there weren't really any competition with Doom3-engine at the time of release.

It's more about how everything seems to go around about three engines these days, Source, Doom3 and UE3. And the game industry is coming on a bit "depression" atleast for small companies, and I really don't see this current trend as something good.

I think Riddick had a better engine than Doom3, not so far from the graphicsl quality, seemed to have more nifty elements and the best part of it all, it ran solid. But Doom3 engine has alot of hidden features that Quake Wars and Prey are going to show off. But if something good has to be said about Source, it would have to be that I'm pleasently suprised about what can be achieved with it in RPG genre, I'm pretty sure that Vampire and MM didn't chose to use the engine just because it has some nifty graphical widgets.

But all in all, I'm biased against physics as a hugely revolutionizing gameplay element, the best games I have ever played are the old lucas adventure games and games like Animal Crossing and Zelda: WW.

F.E.A.R. would have been really cool game if wasn't for some ragdoll, it took all the phear of it and made it in to a Benny Hill comedy with those fucking mimes dangling all over the place.

then dont play it Kosmo.

Best death animations and completely convincing ragdoll effects is CSS imvho tbqph

But that is the problem RD, it's Might and Magic, not to play is just not an option.

CS:S had some weight to the ragdolls so they wouldn't just keep spinning on the ground, so it makes it bit more convincing. Ragdoll in models after some sort of animation is fine, but to let ragdoll do the death animation completely is just plain wrong :mad: