dm_grale (updated on 15-08-09)

rockdude86

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some more pics:

as reply to ra7 i honestly dont know when this wil be done, im putting as much time into it that i can wich isnt really much since my current job takes up a lot of time (probably around 60 hours a week) and seeing i also have other things to do like singing in a band. lets just say i have a lot of social obligations that i do not want to suffer ghehe.

working on this map has really been a growing experience for me and still is. i enjoy every single moment i work on it and so i can say i dont really mind that it takes a very long time for me to get it done.

right now its like i have to make a huge amount of models of the brushwork i've made and i dont really know how much time this wil take since i dont have much modelling experience, its like i said its a learning experience for me and i probably wouldnt even mind if it went on forever. one thing though is that when i get it to compile the complete map i will release a beta *or alpha for that matter* so people can just check it out ingame /end of rant...

thnx for yer sincire answer, cant wait tho for a release :)

• 2 months later...

another update! been a few months again. anyway i bought myself a wacom that i've been fiddling around with a lot but that aside (i will show some of my wacom work another time) i made some wood textures to replace the stock hl2 ones and i've been working on new rock textures to replace the old grey ones that really didnt fit the map anymore with all the other new textures.

hope you like them :) C&C very much welcome on these.

dmgrale3dskypainted0100.jpg w1024.png

dmgrale3dskypainted0100.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440002.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440003.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440004.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440006.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440010.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440011.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440012.jpg w1024.png

dmxgralexxxlow440020.jpg w1024.png

Cool stuff but it really contrasts to your bricks. They look as if they belong in an Egyptian temple now when compared to your rocks which look wet and grassy, it looks like a combination of 2 different texture sets designed for different environments to me.

hmm i geus it is a bit off compared to the bricks, maybe changing the grassy texture to a more sandish one would make it look better? or i could add vegitation but i think it would be pretty hard to make nice vegitation that goes good with this texture style. anyway i think the rock/grass is ok i dont feel like it stands out too much but some more feedback on this would be nice

Cool stuff but it really contrasts to your bricks. They look as if they belong in an Egyptian temple now when compared to your rocks which look wet and grassy, it looks like a combination of 2 different texture sets designed for different environments to me.

I don't think the contrast is a bad thing. The bricks and architecture look more Romanesque than Egyptian to me, in which case the grass is appropriate.

The rock formations are looking great.

so i'm plunging myself into the depths of lighting! trying out some different lighting schemes right now, this one is with standard hl2 settings from one of their sky's with slight color correction to add a little more saturation.

dmxgralexxxlow450007.jpg

gives the map a completely different look already though i dont know if i wil stick to this.

i want to change the sky also to something more apropiate probably a daytime sky but i find myself pretty lost at that end, if someone could help me out with a really neat sky that would be awesome.

*i've photoshopped some sky's that i got from cgtextures but i dont have the program to convert them to the right format :mad:

tnx:) i always didnt want to change to daytime because i was afraid it would ruin the torches but i geuss they came out pretty good also the lower parts of the map are affected just slightly by the sky lighting so down below it's stil pretty dark and moody.

However i'm still stuck with the old blue sky :o

dmxgralexxxlow450011.jpg

as i's pretty obvious this does NOT fit anymore ghehe.

i'm trying to do most of the texture work that was/is left myself *the rocks, wood and probably some model stuff that im thinking about*

since lately i've gotten way better at it :) having a wacom now im gonna try to create a nice daytime sky but if anyone has a nice one around that you think fits the theme then dont even hesitate to mail/pm me 8) also as i said in the previous post i'm looking for a program to convert hemispherical skies to a cubemap format *i know they've got them on cgtextures but im not a member and can only download the lower res ones.

i've been learning quite a lot (photoshop, zbrush and some unrealed) and am currently learning maya through a lot of video tutorials *tried max before and can get around in it but i think im gonna like maya more*

made me think about the fact i dont even come close to the stuff phillip did for me and i didnt even ask for it he offered it so i geuss i can say he really is a damn good guy and can only hope to come close to the stuff he did.

this map wouldnt even exist if it wasnt for him, when i first found his old texture set (dont even remember where) without knowing he made them i just had the name blaz and later finding out here on mapcore that phillip was the one *was pretty funny actually* i found them really appealing seeing they were kinda squar lego like, a tad cartoony even. it inspired me to do this map that was a bit quake like but also had a lot of unreal like elements. the textures alowed me to kind of push beyond normal bsp usage (even now i''ve gone way above what you'd normally would like to do) i find myself still stuck not even able to compile the complete map beause to many tex info's *wich really cant be reduced by any other means then using less bsp geometry.

i've been going on with this thing for years now leaving it as is a couple of times before picking it up again, looking up against the fact that i had to remake a lot of bsp stuff into models.

right now the only models in there are the torches wich is a really simple model that i even exported as .obj to max and havent even got the normals for it to work haha

but my point is when phillip aproached me to make these new textures for me i got totally into it again and it made me exited once more to add on to this seemingly endless map so you could say he got me learning again placing me in the present almost able to finish the map myself, it will probably stil take me a lot of time, though i hope to finnish it this year.

maybe it's a bit much to say, could have said thanks phil realy apreciate it. but i dont think that would've given him enough credit so that's the reason for this big rant haha