Unreal Engine 4 announced

skdr

What?!? Unreal 4 Engine? Quick, someone hold my chin up while I slap my face!

Man, that is seriously messed up! The Unreal 3 Engine has barely scratched the surface and those guys are already working on the Unreal 4 Engine? Sweet Jesus! That's just insane!

:: Turns to John Carmack sleeping in his chair :: Carmack. CARMACK! Wake up you f$#@ing code slacker! You have alot of work ahead of you to regain your title as king coder. Tim Sweeney is mopping your ass, man!

The defense rests, your honour. :D

Cheers,

NRG

Yeah I was just thinking through this and understood that if the developers sit down and look what happens to their engine tech, they will all stay behind.

ie. Valve started to develop HL2 engine right after HL1 was released. I wont be suprised if they announce new engine in the developement, because it wouldnt be wise to stop working on new tech and develope old tech forward...

Anyway, its not really BIG news, but I have to say that Epic is growing ALOT lately. UE3 just behind the corner and now all the manpower going to UE4 developement. They're also searching ALOT new staff to join their ranks.

I don't think dev's should be pissed that Epic are "holding back" technology for future engines - most people's current systems can't run UE3, let alone what they most likely have in store for UE4.

Yeah, I don't think we're going to be hearing much about UE4 for sometime. There arn't even any UE3.0 games on the market yet, so I doubt the first thing Epic wants to do is undermine their own business by instilling doubt in potential buyers minds of weather their current tech is worth purchasing if they have some other, better thing on the horizon.

First of all, this horizon is, I'd say, 5 or 6 years away.

Secondly, only one guy, is researching and experimenting with new technology that's probably not even able to run on today's or tomorrow's machines in a game quality situation. Think next week.

Also, it's not like whatever they've put together for UE4 so far is even in any kind of shape to be licenced or used to create anything more than window with a floating HDR'd teapot in it. Well, that would be my guess anyway.

If anything, I'd say Mark Rein probably blurbed.

geez! we haven't even seen what other developers are doing for Unreal engine 3 and already there's a 4 in the works!. How come this announcement isn't on other gaming sites including Epics own website, makes me wonder if Mark Rein was just stirring up the rumors a bit. hehe

Of course their engine department isn't twiddling thumbs, the UE3 technology lock must have been a while ago considering the count of licensees they have distributed the engine to by now.

But by comparing the detail of information on the UE4 engine and on the restrooms in Epic's new offices provided by Rein, you can see where the priorities of the article/interview are ;)

It is only logical, stupid, but logical. I'm wondering how they are going to bypass the natural circle of engine development, like Q3 engine, the developers that licenced it, tweaked it to hell, so are they just announcing it way ahead? Or are they confident that they are going to get developers to licence a new engine when they could just tweak the "old" engine to support the new shader and lighting models and whatnot.

"Unreal Engine 4 will be totally groundbreaking and the way games will be done in the future,"

Ah how I love these kinds of comments, they seem to be there with everything this industry does, "I'm making a new pot of coffee, it is going to totally revolutionise how you drink coffee" or "I just wrote a new name generator for this game, it is so groundbreaking that you have to use seatbelts to play the game" and bull like that :roll: