level/mod project

capone_adam

Intro

One crit I often get with my work is that its all fantasy based so for my next project I'm trying to do a high poly realistic section of a game level. To keep myself going off on one I've offered to contribute towards a mod that is based on war in iraq. This should help me keep focused on being realistic.

Just playing with a floor at moment. This is more or less just the base. I will be putting extra transparent planes on top and modeled debris. Any crits? In particular can anyone suggest how to go about adding flat sheet of paper on the floor. I added it to the map but its too flat and its the same if I make a transparent plane. Would it be insane to make a piece of paper out of 3-5 planes to put a bit on bend in it?...

del50.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flat sheet of paper should be in a separate texture which the mapper can place as he wants as a decal or overlay. Painting stuff like that on the texture (especially a floor texture) will stand out when used in a map. Also like peri said, that's alot of variations of one texture. Make three textures, one without any side-debris, one with only side-debris and one corner-debris, then let the mapper flip around the texture to fit the actual map.

I'm trying to avoid repetition as much as possible. But the idea of doing long strip planes for the side dirt is good. Only thing then is that the more basic layers underneith with all the 'little' debris will be the same.

I think I've been playing too much MGS3...seriously, I would just love to know how they did those rock/ground surfaces that just don't seem to repeat at all.

I'm actually aiming this towards the engine that is used on 'insurgency' mod which I see you are on too. I'm only a contributer who has not been assigned anything of yet. Do you know if the engine being used is ok with multiple alpha planes? If so is this how most artists are going about adding 'unique' dirt?

thanks

didn't know you joined insurgency :P

well stuff like this is made with brushes, not modelled, hammer editor allows using terrain displacements which you can alpha paint, i also use that on stuff like roads.

the road here is painted with a clean and dirty texture which gives nice variation here and there. I added some decals with debris too

s08.jpg

same here, but with more decal use (johnnyphive's map)

s03.jpg

I guess you joined the team as a prop modeller or something? Hl2 doesn't allow decals or alpha painting on models i think.

whoa that stuff is looking sweet peri

anyway, if its hl2 then i guess decals wud be a better way to go, instead of having a shitload of textures doing it. Or having some transparent texture perhaps. Just seems like extreme overkill to manually do every piece.

Sort of confused, you say HL2 cannot handle decals yet you then give examples of work that use them?

Also, what do you class as a decal in terms of this mod?...is it a flat mesh plane with diffuse and opacity placed onto a model or is it the thing where you do it within a texture editor with a mix map?

hl2 cannot handle decals on models (eventhough ingame it does add blood decals and stuff, i havnt found a way to manually put them on models). What you see in these pics is made with the hl2 editor, its all bsp based gemeometry and displacements. With decals i mean like a mesh plane with opacity and diffuse yes