F.E.A.R. SP Demo

zeOx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I hope this game doesn't suck. The first E3 video I saw (of the office building) looked kickass, but a few days ago I downloaded a new video from Shacknews where the action was set in a generic warehouse. It looked pretty bland and it showed a wacky engine bug (player floated through a wall at the end). Guess I'll know in 4 hours and 31 minutes, according to Bittorrent.

Man I hope this game doesn't suck. The first E3 video I saw (of the office building) looked kickass, but a few days ago I downloaded a new video from Shacknews where the action was set in a generic warehouse. It looked pretty bland and it showed a wacky engine bug (player floated through a wall at the end). Guess I'll know in 4 hours and 31 minutes, according to Bittorrent.

We're on the same wavelength. I have high hopes for this game that I don't want dashed. I also hope it won't run too badly on my aging 9800 Pro...

The action is really sweet, love the slow mo stuff.

But the weapon designs r horrible, look waaaay too much alike imo. Also it just doesnt look that good in general tbh. At this point we've all gotten used to this dynamic light shizzle, and this stuff with having huge sharp pitch black shadows just isnt cool anymore imo. Also their particle system is just waaaay too much on. Their intention is probably to make it look really tense, but it just looks crap with a shitload of particles hacking their way into the walls.

However things that were cool about the visuals: Bulletholes. Actually deformed the wall, or did some normal mapped thingy with it.

Anyway, even though Im not that impressed with its visual side, then I think the gameplay makes up for it, and it plays beautifully. Thought slow motion in games couldnt impress me anymore, but I was wrong :D~

I have a pretty highend system (3ghz, 1gb ram, ati radeon x800) and it was jerky as hell - entering each room would cause it to stutter and freeze momentarily. But anyway:

Like Mazy said, the whole pitch-black swinging lights thing is a bit more annoying than interesting. But I thought the whole demo was kind of generic anyway; basically running and gunning through a brick-wall maintenance building. Some of the horror parts were pretty cool, if not a little cheap (shadows darting across the room, all scripted stuff). The characters, though well done, are still plastic-looking - it makes you appreciate all the work that went into the HL2 NPCs.

Some of the horror parts were pretty cool, if not a little cheap (shadows darting across the room, all scripted stuff).

The horror parts were scripted? no way!?

/end sarcasm

i thought the demo was sweet, although i have to agree with mazy on the weapon design.