Hammer++

sn0wsh00

With Hammer++ now supporting CS:GO, I thought it would be good to create a topic where we can share our thoughts the tool.

For me, I haven't compiled anything with it yet, but so far I'm really liking all the new features, especially lighting and materials preview. Only brushes cast shadows in the preview, but it's still better than not having any lighting preview at all. Here's how this looks like for my map fy_neon_fangs:

KhzHdtf.gif

The only problem I've encountered so far is that, unlike in vanilla Hammer, I'm unable to use the arrow keys to rotate the camera in the 3D view. They still don't work even when I unbind those keys from the nudge actions. But that's just a very minor gripe, and I'll probably get used to the mouselook toggle technique anyways.

Edited by sn0wsh00
Wording

23 hours ago, sn0wsh00 said:

I thought it would be good to create a topic 

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't touched Source engine games and SDKs for almost 5 years but I felt compelled to check this one out after reading the features list. 

The 3D lighting preview works well enough to make lighting tweaks happen in-editor without needing to compile. Having the 2D sky visible is the icing on the cake.

Having the 3D gizmo for movement translation, rotation and resizing, like most modern engines is a really nice touch.

The various quality of life improvements and features are all welcome.

Honestly, all these should have been default features of Hammer, especially lighting preview (we asked for it over a decade ago to no avail), but it's always the community that takes matters into its own hands to find solutions.

1 hour ago, will2k said:

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't touched Source engine games and SDKs for almost 5 years but I felt compelled to check this one out after reading the features list. 

The 3D lighting preview works well enough to make lighting tweaks happen in-editor without needing to compile. Having the 2D sky visible is the icing on the cake.

Having the 3D gizmo for movement translation, rotation and resizing, like most modern engines is a really nice touch.

The various quality of life improvements and features are all welcome.

Honestly, all these should have been default features of Hammer, especially lighting preview (we asked for it over a decade ago to no avail), but it's always the community that takes matters into its own hands to find solutions.

Source 2 and Source are still fun to work if you wanna return.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've finally started working on a map in Hammer++ and so far, it works pretty much the same as regular Hammer. That it, except for brush textures, in that the texture scales alongside your brush. In other words, if you stretch your brush along the x-axis, then the texture will be stretched along the x-axis, unlike in regular Hammer where the texture scale will remain the same no matter how much your manipulate the brush. I honestly find this really annoying, given I have to frequently use the face edit tool to make sure the texture scale remains consistent. Otherwise, I've generally liked what I've seen so far with Hammer++.

9 hours ago, sn0wsh00 said:

I've finally started working on a map in Hammer++ and so far, it works pretty much the same as regular Hammer. That it, except for brush textures, in that the texture scales alongside your brush. In other words, if you stretch your brush along the x-axis, then the texture will be stretched along the x-axis, unlike in regular Hammer where the texture scale will remain the same no matter how much your manipulate the brush. I honestly find this really annoying, given I have to frequently use the face edit tool to make sure the texture scale remains consistent. Otherwise, I've generally liked what I've seen so far with Hammer++.

Try toggling the "<tl>" button in the top, same as regular hammer Id guess

image.png.5fa035ca11ae77b2ebaad456deede6a8.png

15 hours ago, Evert said:

Try toggling the "<tl>" button in the top, same as regular hammer Id guess

Thanks, disabling scaling texture lock worked! In fact, I wished I had known about texture lock in general, given that some of my maps have brushes rotated at non-90 degree angles. I guess even after all these years I'm still a noob at Hammer.

14 hours ago, GenoCide said:

Overall I really like Hammer++. I am still getting used to it. The 2 features that I miss in Hammer++ is "Show used assets only" filter and the number of times you've used a model on model browser. These 2 things helped me quickly find the assets that I have been using in the level.

image.png.c57412c3e5b40cac5ba141dead36283f.png

The new view model in Hammer ++ design it's awesome, Hammer ++ feel like a modern version of Worldcraft (of what we now called Hammer), would be nice if a support for Portal 2 or Goldsrc [HL1] would be also amazing. I didn't liked the view in the original Hammer cause you can't see huge building props which it bother me but with Hammer++ it is more amazing original Hammer is also amazing thought.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...