Guilds Wars vs World of Warcraft

Lee3dee

lost my fish last night

but i'd say WoW, I havn't played it, but I have Guild Wars, it's not that thrilling, I mean I had fun doing the game, but then its just...boring, it ends and who cares. WoW is apparently addicitiving with raids and likely a lot more to do. so ya.

I don't know that much about GW that I could say good or bad thing about it, but I have been playing WoW from the European beta and right from the start of the retail and I love it, but now you have to remember that I have been a huge Warcraft fan since Warcraft 1. So my opinion about the world and the story is definedly biased, BUT I have played alot of MMOGs and WoW is easily the best MMORPG based on the traditional MMORPG setup, it has excellent production values, and it is constantly being updated with new quests and thingies, Blizz is literally pouring their money on this product so you know that you get 100% Blizz quality which is close to the best even if not the best.

Ive only played WoW so I have no preference regarding the two.

But WoW is really quite amazing as long as its fun, which for me was around 3-4 months. After then it does get pretty repetitve, but those 3-4 months will be the most absorbing months you've spend on a game. Was with me at least.

The first month the first thing I did when I came home from work was just turning on the computer, putting on wow, eating a bit, then play until it was naptime, then go to work. Then just repeat that. Did get kinda sick at some point but I really cant remember another game that had me this addictive.

But Guild Wars has been getting good reviews too, and if its free to play then thats a plus I guess.

I have also only tried WoW, but I am still pretty sure that WoW is the game to get. This game is just incredible addictive and I am still trying to figure out why.

In the long run you do, as Mazy say, get tired of the bugged and repetetive gameplay. Until you reach that you point you will have had a great experience though.

Sounds to me like some of you WoWers haven't had a good guild, my Fuzzy Animals have some players that say that they are playing WoW just for the sake of the guild, we are a close bunch of people, not a guild but friends, I have played tons of MMOGs and not a single one of them has kept my interest without a help of a good guild/clan/group, so what I suggest is that you try to find a good guild that are based on friendship and try to keep away from those raid and leveling guilds, those people usually just are after their own interest.

i have played both games and here is what i think there is good(+) and bad(-) about them

GW:

+No pay pr. month

+The graphic

+U can have 2 classes at same time

-U can only have 8 magics at a time in your bar

-Max lvl is 20

-When you go outside the cities you are alone in the world unless u are a party

WoW:

+Proffesions

+Auction house

+The new pvp system

+The classes and races

+Party and Raid high level instances

+Some funny things around the world, like"Broken I.W.I.N button" or something like that

+Test servers, when blizzard decides to public test a new patch u get a free lvl 60 after your choice to test the patch with.

-U have to pay pr. month

-The GM's on the forums are not 2 much active :)

WoW wins ;)

lots of good comments guys. thx :D. I have every Blizzard game on the PC, except diablo 1 & 2. hehe

I played Final Fantasy XI for a year, and it was alot of grinding for experience. Always fighting something, then u'd level down and spend few weeks trying to level back. The quests were fun like halloween and christmas, but they didn't provide any experience to the character, only that you unlocked more quests to do. It got really boring, fast. I really want a MMO where I can maybe play for a few hours every so often and have a good experience. Seems like alot of you play WoW, which is great! When I got to level 50 white mage, it was harder to find parties and spells were insanely expensive!

Is it easy to go from town to town, or server to server? to meet people?

Is it important for a player to join a guild?

lots of good comments guys. thx :D. I have every Blizzard game on the PC, except diablo 1 & 2. hehe

I played Final Fantasy XI for a year, and it was alot of grinding for experience. Always fighting something, then u'd level down and spend few weeks trying to level back. The quests were fun like halloween and christmas, but they didn't provide any experience to the character, only that you unlocked more quests to do. It got really boring, fast. I really want a MMO where I can maybe play for a few hours every so often and have a good experience. Seems like alot of you play WoW, which is great! When I got to level 50 white mage, it was harder to find parties and spells were insanely expensive!

Don't know about WoW but in Guild Wars it's extremely easy to just quickly form a party for the next quest and play for an hour or two if you don't have much time.

in WoW its easy becouse 3 things:

1. Ride masters, some towns have ride master, theese allows you to fly to other cities that u have visited

2. Hearth stone, u get a harthstone when u make a character, you talk to a innkeaper in a town and make the inn your "home", then u can always use the hearthstone to teleport to your "home inn" though it has a 60 min cooldown

3. Mage portals, when a mage get at high lvl the mage learn to make portals to the main cities.

A guild is always good to have, the guild chat if the general chat gets boring and the most guilds make raids where the entire guild raids diffrent places.

GW is not a persitant world as far as I know, more something with a meeting area and then you can do 'instances' with small groups, not a real MMO.

But I never tried it.

Tried the WOW beta but it wasn't my cup of tea (played DArk Age Of Camelot 3 years) but it is a nice mmo to start with if you are new to it,

the other mmo's are either to old or hardcore, so leveling up is not fun most players have their highlevels already and only play with friends.

And from frieds I hear the WOW endgame is boring.

I'm looking forward to Warhammer Online, but that will take 2 more years to come, not that i'm that mutch of a Warhammer freak,

but its supposed to bring DAOC's RVR to a next level and I am a RVR addict :)

I havent played WoW, but it looks really complex and crazy and it seems like you gotta put alot of effort into it. Guildwars is more relaxed and not a true mmorpg - you can play it like you do any other multiplayer, but you can also play it for 2 days straight :D

I'd say WoW would be better for a more 'nerdy' player, that likes to have lots of little things to play with, but if you just want another fun game and not a commitment, Guildwars is for you!

Read my post again.

As for some posts, WoW is nothing special in terms of MMOG innovation, but it is extremely basic MMORPG with basic gameplay tested and true, and very very high production values, it is quality all the way, quality graphics, quality sounds and quality scripting, sure there are bugs but that is how games are, especially huge games like MMOGs.

The thing about WoW is that they made a MMORPG that people who don't usually play these kinds of games, would like to play, but they didn't forget the hardcore players either, my guild has couple of them, and they seem pretty happy, but like said here, the end game is pretty boring, but citing my earier post, guilds even this out very nicely, the hardcore players after they hit 60, are going to make new charst to the guild and help out others, and every now and then log their main char to do some PvP or help guildies with very hard quests, instances and raids.

So all in all, WoW is a game best when taken with friends.