Half-Life: Alyx LEVITATION

FMPONE

I think it depends how many influencers and reporters you can get involved. I think if you have that type of support you do in advance, otherwise if you’re counting on the trailer alone, it’s better to have a shorter delay if not contextual release.

Mods are not like full games.

Goes without saying if you release after the trailer you probably need a release trailer to confirm it’s out.

Edited by blackdog

12 hours ago, FMPONE said:

we 

we? please tell me you made a small indie studio or at least thinking about it! :dance:

I'm bummed it's only VR and I won't be able to experience this release or Alyx in general :sad:

But as others said, in advance is always best as long as the trailer has no accidental spoilers; 2 weeks would be a sweet spot - not too close to release but at the same time not too distant where hype fades away.

In any case, best of luck my friend and you deserve the best out of this. You're one of the people who really bust their asses working on their projects, and I'm sure if you have devoted the same energy in this project as you used to do with csgo ones (I can personally vouch for those lol), this will turn out to be tremendous and probably officially endorsed.

Cheers 🍻

5 hours ago, Poofoge said:

@FMPONEWould Levitation features new weapons? :o

No, no new weapons. Just new story and levels and animations.

Honestly even though people seem to want to see the trailer in advance, I’m worried that we won’t end up converting as many eyeballs to downloads as we would with a day of launch. Valve’s social media game is seemingly non-existent outside of CS:GO, so there won’t be any support there. Ultimately my priority is to get workshop downloads and people into the game 

16 hours ago, FMPONE said:

No, no new weapons. Just new story and levels and animations.

Honestly even though people seem to want to see the trailer in advance, I’m worried that we won’t end up converting as many eyeballs to downloads as we would with a day of launch. Valve’s social media game is seemingly non-existent outside of CS:GO, so there won’t be any support there. Ultimately my priority is to get workshop downloads and people into the game 

Yep, that was exactly my thought.

I don’t think it harms to have a trailer ahead, puts a pin for those who are following, but that means you definitely need a second video for release day. You know the resources you have to work with.

In the grand scheme of things, being a mod, long tail beats all else. Which means a message “get it now”.

You could release every so often (once a week, every two weeks) little snippets, like 15 seconds of even just a static room letting the environment do its job, maybe have a combine walk by or something, that sort of “giffable” content. If you update for bug fixes and changes, release something then, etc.