The Ascent

This game was presented some time ago and it piqued my interest for the dystopian/cyberpunk presentation, very reminiscent of Blade Runner and the Total Recall remake (imo).

Trailer was good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32gaWV-5hXg (no preview age restricted)

Gameplay walkthrough:

And Digital Foundry:

~

Anybody else interested?
I am tempted to get it but worried it won't run very well on my 970M :/

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I tried it too on the gamepass. For such a tiny team, this game is no short of a miracle. Been following it since even before it was announced, and the team really killed it.

Some things could have been a little better, the characters for instance look really rubbery, lighting can be busy at times and the map / ui a little confusing at the start.

But, killing monsters feel really snappy and gameplay fluid enough to carry the experience. I'll boot it up again soon to play a couple more hours, but I'm not the biggest fan of isometric action games so I doubt I'll put in the 50 hours to finish it. 

But it's worth checking it out for the universe alone, specially if you're into industrial scifi art directions. 

7 hours ago, blackdog said:

What didn’t you like @Minos? I haven’t tried it, only seen some videos.

Really dig the atmosphere but not sure about combat from what I’ve seen.

PS: you have the Xbox pass to just be able to try stuff?

Yeah, I got a Series X + 3 years of game pass (did that trick of buying 3 years of Live Gold at Costco then converting to gamepass for 1 dollar :D ). Amazing deal.

As for the game, while the gameplay is solid it felt similar to other games I played before. I had a hard time getting immersed too... the initial environments looked very kitbashed and unbelievable. With so many other quality games to play, I just preferred to play something else :) 

Definitely give it a try if you are interested though, it's really impressive what the team accomplished!

10 hours ago, Minos said:

Yeah, I got a Series X + 3 years of game pass (did that trick of buying 3 years of Live Gold at Costco then converting to gamepass for 1 dollar :D ). Amazing deal.

As for the game, while the gameplay is solid it felt similar to other games I played before. I had a hard time getting immersed too... the initial environments looked very kitbashed and unbelievable. With so many other quality games to play, I just preferred to play something else :) 

Definitely give it a try if you are interested though, it's really impressive what the team accomplished!

Yeah I’m happy they’re having sustainable success, but I saw the screenshots people were saying looked so great, and they didn’t do much for me. I agree with the kitbashed sentiment, quite like the top of a Star Wars ship but using a cyberpunk city theme. 

While Cyberpunk 20forgot-the-digits may have let people down, it truly looked the part of a big exciting game, and it had that art direction on point. This game seems to be pleasing people, but it looks very much like an aimless indie game to my eyes.

I never played Disco Elysium but even that comparable indie game seemed to have a lot more visual appeal and art direction with the isometric idea.

Yup is a good point on the kitbashing… I had the same feeling of visual noise/repetitiveness in the videos, and I was wondering how much different environments they would be able to create with such a small team.

In the podcast they explain they used Substance a lot to generate variations etc. Hopefully they can do a GDC talk like they say they’d like (lots of people apparently asking them of their technical implementation).

The result makes sense in the perspective of the small dev team.