Steam Deck

17 hours ago, Serialmapper said:

It will be a smashing success, like the steam machines, if anyone remembers them. 

There’s to be said that those were subsidised, the overall ecosystem was less ready… Valve has now proven itself as an hardware maker, and these   sold out right away. Several people here ordered one, I would have as well if it wasn’t so far away in launch.

I don’t imagine they need a smashing success, probably it’s more a way to fund R&D for a wireless VR headset

I'm not into VR, if these are a big success and can compete with the Switch, maybe it'll lead Valve back to what they used to do best.

Seems like HL2 is getting a bug update, 15 years a bit late but it goes to show that something is stirring inside Valve. 

It's just my opinion but my biggest criticism of Valve is they don't value their own products as much as the community does. If this piece of hardware makes them go back and fix things, well thank God I guess. 

15 hours ago, zastels said:

I'm not into VR, if these are a big success and can compete with the Switch, maybe it'll lead Valve back to what they used to do best.

Seems like HL2 is getting a bug update, 15 years a bit late but it goes to show that something is stirring inside Valve. 

It's just my opinion but my biggest criticism of Valve is they don't value their own products as much as the community does. If this piece of hardware makes them go back and fix things, well thank God I guess. 

If you'd work on a thing for 20 years you'd be hard pressed to go back and fix stuff as well, it's different from a fan perspective than it is from the dev's. Valve at least doesn't punish the community for fixing things like some of the other corporations do.

8 hours ago, Buddy said:

If you'd work on a thing for 20 years you'd be hard pressed to go back and fix stuff as well, it's different from a fan perspective than it is from the dev's. Valve at least doesn't punish the community for fixing things like some of the other corporations do.

Where is Valve's focus? Nobody on Earth wants to play Alyx or Artifact. The Alyx SDK is a waste of time because nobody plays Alyx. I bet Valve could make more money focusing on their back catalogue of games that people actually play!

12 hours ago, zastels said:

Where is Valve's focus? Nobody on Earth wants to play Alyx or Artifact. The Alyx SDK is a waste of time because nobody plays Alyx. I bet Valve could make more money focusing on their back catalogue of games that people actually play!

Don't think making money is the primary drive for them at this point either. They do make a lot but i don't think they ever released something that was a pure cash grab. Alyx was the complete opposite actually.

Edited by Buddy

• 3 weeks later...
Hello <name>
The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.
Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.
Again, we're sorry we won’t be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go.
To view your updated expected order availability and FAQ, please visit the Steam Deck store page.

Cheers,
The Steam Team

1 hour ago, Izuno said:
Hello <name>
The launch of Steam Deck will be delayed by two months. We're sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates.
Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—you will keep your place in line but dates will shift back accordingly. Reservation date estimates will be updated shortly after this announcement.
Again, we're sorry we won’t be able to make our original ship date. We'll continue working to improve reservation dates based on the new timeline, and will keep you updated as we go.
To view your updated expected order availability and FAQ, please visit the Steam Deck store page.

Cheers,
The Steam Team

<name> is gonna be disappointed.

That was to be expected seeing the ongoing GPU shortages (and to a lesser extent CPUs), as well as chatter of potential future shortage of RAM and SSDs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Yeah I don't think anyone was surprised. The chip shortage is real even if it does not impact everyone exactly the same.  Nintendo recently cut their manufacturing guidance for FY21 from 30m Switch units to 24m.  

15 hours ago, will2k said:

<name> is gonna be disappointed.

That was to be expected seeing the ongoing GPU shortages (and to a lesser extent CPUs), as well as chatter of potential future shortage of RAM and SSDs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

If the email has gone out like that I can legitimately apply for a job at Valve. @Izuno did you just protect your ID or found a generic shot online?

No that email was to me I just edited out the account name because it is an old email address of mine.  But yeah, <name> was looking forward to see if Steam Deck would live up to it's potential and now <name> is going to have to wait.

• 2 weeks later...