https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/15/22578783/valve-steam-deck-gaming-handheld-pc

Valve just announced the Steam Deck, its long-rumored Switch-like handheld gaming device. It will begin shipping in December and reservations open July 16th at 1PM ET. It starts at $399, and you can buy it in $529 and $649 models as well.

The device has an AMD APU containing a quad-core Zen 2 CPU with eight threads and 8 compute units’ worth of AMD RDNA 2 graphics, alongside 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM. There are three different types of storage: 64GB eMMC storage, 256GB NVMe SSD storage, and 512GB of high-speed NVME SSD storage, according to Valve. You can also expand the available storage using the available high-speed microSD card slot.

Image_from_iOS.0.jpg

• Izuno changed the title to Steam Deck
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not even planning to reserve it, but If this is too new, how far into the future do new-new people get to reserve?

I’m a little skeptical about the size of it and— whoops, already attempted to reserve a copy of the highest end model 

Ill buy this and plug in my steam controller. Nice to not have to rely on a the breath of the wild or Mario odyssey. Always wanted a game gear 2. edit: forgot about my steam machine, so

Posted Images

Listened to a video earlier and says it’s a 600gr boy 😦

maybe one of the reasons of how the controls are laid out, I dunno, so you can rest it on your lap.

Do you think it could run VR games? I wonder if this could be the first step towards a wireless experience, since you wouldn’t be tied to a PC.

If you go for the 64GB version, you're gonna have to buy additional memory like immediately. The latest triple A releases take up 50+ gb easily.

Any mention of battery life? Cooling? (fan noise?) If laptops are any comparison those are going to be the big point to watch for

Also like Radu said, 64GB base model seems like a crude joke, literally cannot install 2 contemporary AAA titles at the same time

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like kind of an awkward shape for a portable, but I guess they know that since a carrying case is included with all options. That said though, I think this may well be the first portable device since like 2008 that actually made ergonomics a focal point so hey that's pretty cool

In terms of performance . . I'm sceptical, but I'm also tempted to say Valve knows better than to oversell that point. The 720p (equivalent) display tells us the first compromise, but I'm quite keen to find out what settings they're purporting "the latest AAA games" run "really well" at.

All in all, I think there's definitely a market for a powerful multimedia handheld ( GPD being the only current contender that comes to mind - and god knows they don't focus on ergonomics ). Can't say I'm greatly in need of one at the moment ( really need to upgrade my desktop before I could justify it ) but it's definitely captured my interest

Edited by ThunderKeil
14 minutes ago, ThunderKeil said:

Any mention of battery life?

I think battery life is given between 2-8 hours, depending if you’re playing AAA or lightweight stuff.

Cooling I’m expecting passive solution. Haven’t noticed vents but haven’t looked closely.

@Radu yeah but the cards are very cheap, and maybe you’d go for that if you mainly play indie and lightweight.

~

Does the wish list work like a preorder? Haven’t had the chance to look into it. I’d go for the middle (of course) but the anti-glare screen sounds gooood and wondering if it’s worth. I care more about that than the storage.

Edited by blackdog
43 minutes ago, ThunderKeil said:

Passive!?

Well I guess battery life's not a concern if it catches fire in less than 10 minutes

These look like cooling openings, so I’m probably wrong 😑 

C8B6E1B4-A4F6-41AC-A3D6-39FF2875D4C4.thumb.jpeg.48c7bec450d0afb121f05a872216b2b4.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Radu said:

Reserving has just been opened. 

image.png.894d8a03430bae0c87cc23085e90814e.png

Looks like I missed it, by the time I managed to login on the work computer, the buttons are disabled ☹️ the steam desktop app breaks when trying to open the page 

Edited by blackdog