How do I generate ideas for unique layouts in CSGO Wingman maps?

Now, I know that this may seem specific, but I'm genuinely having a difficult time making a top-down layout to get me started with my first mapping project. The best that I can come up is 3 lines like Rialto, and I'm seeing unique layouts all over the place in the workshop. Is there a formula to it or something? I'm just completely stuck on how to come up with a layout.

That's the longest joke I've ever seen and I applaud you for that. All jokes aside, I've been working on a top-down layout for about 4 hours, and I've only come up with an extremely simple 3 lane layout that I don't think will play very well.

Why do you think a 3 lane layout is not interesting? Most defuse maps follow a very similar four square pattern. That doesn't prevent them from doing a lot of original things within individual areas.

Also, I think you'll have better luck coming up with interesting ideas if you play around with it in the editor rather than on paper.

Here's something you can do - take a cool real life location that you would like to make in the game (this will motivate you) and think about how you can design a wingman layout around this location. You will find yourself solving interesting architectural problems and even if you end up with a three-lane layout still, it will be an interesting three-lane layout because of the constraints of the theme. You may not even notice that you have a three lane layout just like cache is pretending to not be a four-square layout while it is exactly that.

Edited by NikiOo

15 minutes ago, NikiOo said:

Why do you think a 3 lane layout is not interesting? Most defuse maps follow a very similar four square pattern. That doesn't prevent them from doing a lot of original things within individual areas.

Also, I think you'll have better luck coming up with interesting ideas if you play around with it in the editor rather than on paper.

Here's something you can do - take a cool real life location that you would like to make in the game (this will motivate you) and think about how you can design a wingman layout around this location. You will find yourself solving interesting architectural problems and even if you end up with a three-lane layout still, it will be an interesting three-lane layout because of the constraints of the theme. You may not even notice that you have a three lane layout just like cache is pretending to not be a four-square layout while it is exactly that.

I took the liberty of doing this and found an interesting location. Now to port it into a layout. To me, coming up with the ideas is more time consuming and frustrating than actually making the map. One of the big problems I have is finding interesting locations in google maps or earth. The problem being that you have the whole world to work with.

Follow on social accounts that post architecture, like there’s one I remember called Abandoned Places, then you can find many Pinterest boards managed by designers where #reference #inspiration shots are posted.

I have been collecting scraps of paper from tourist leaflets and magazines as well. I look at couple shots from different angles and I try to figure out what’s the real layout and if it suits a map, or how two locations in the same town would connect and make for interesting gameplay.

You could also start by actually copying someone else layout and then in the process you’d end up changing things. Or think of a reskin.

You could also create small areas, what would suit for choke points, sites, etc, create a bunch and then try and combine them like Lego.