HL2 Prop_static woes.

Tequila

I'm going to sound extremely dense here, but none of the tutorials I've seen on the web mention any of this. I have my 3 .smds (model, anim and physbox), my texture in .vtf format and my accurate .qc file.

But then studiomdl.exe complains that my model has no bone, and thus can't compile. Now, like I said, I can't find anything on this, so my question is, how do I add bones in XSI to a model? I really want to get my first (test) model ingame. :(

Even static props need anim .smds to function, however like Mike-O says it's just an idle thing. No movement. And my .qc file is all correct, I just can't find anywhere on the web that tells me how to create bones/joints in XSI and assign vertexes to them.

Even static props need anim .smds to function, however like Mike-O says it's just an idle thing. No movement. And my .qc file is all correct, I just can't find anywhere on the web that tells me how to create bones/joints in XSI and assign vertexes to them.

no, for static props you don't need an idle "animation".

no, for static props you don't need an idle "animation".

Great, so not only is the tutorial not telling me how to create bones, it's bullshitting me about this too. I wish someone would write a comprehensive, honest guide on this. It really isn't too much to ask.

• 4 weeks later...

just place 1 bone anywhere on your model and $staticprop command will collapse tem at 0,0,0.

and yes you do need an idle animation for static props, physics too, even if its only 1 frame at 1 fps.

Could you copy your QC and the error StudioMDL gives here plz?

just place 1 bone anywhere on your model and $staticprop command will collapse tem at 0,0,0.

and yes you do need an idle animation for static props, physics too, even if its only 1 frame at 1 fps.

Could you copy your QC and the error StudioMDL gives here plz?

That's all I needed to know, amigo. I gave up on the business back when I first posted this thread, but I can now create bones, and with this knowledge I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Thanks for the help, amigo.