I'm a little skeptical that allowing players to see more of the levels would actually help resolve the issues with the levels. The issue is that the levels are boring boxes.

If anything, seeing more of them is going to reveal how squared off and dull they are (i.e. bad architectural design).

A fundamentally key part of remaking an older game that had a lot of small boxy rooms is to reimagine those or repackage them in a way that is palatable, and they have a long way to go there.

I think just make the lighting cleaner and it'll be fine. Good lighting makes everything look better. Over contrasted dark lighting just contributes to further issue.

32 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

I'm a little skeptical that allowing players to see more of the levels would actually help resolve the issues with the levels. The issue is that the levels are boring boxes.

btw disagree :v levels are faithful remakes, which is what they said they wanted to do and I'm happy they did that and I think they look good. Asset quality and materials look really nice. What's spoiling this direction (for me) is the lighting and contrast. You of all people shawny boi should know that good lighting makes everything look 10x better. ;) 

Edited by dux

To each their own, it's kind of a turn off for me that they didn't even attempt to re-contextualize the levels into a plausible futuristic space station (ala the example of Alien: Isolation, which did a great job at that.)

I see you guys both point of views, and they're both valid. Mine was more what they can still do at this late stage, before they release this thing. Going back and changing level design and architecture design at this point, is pretty much an impossibility for them. And btw, i don't think simple boxy like levels can't be interesting, I mean that's what the first Doom and Quake games, or others like Heretic were based on, and they still felt good, i'd actually argue it helped them feel "otherworldly", it's part of the appeal that the architecture looks kinda out there. SS1 is just a bit samey, like same color palette, same ceiling heights, same corridors widths, shit like that...  It's possible they just wanted this Remake to feel closer to the original and less of a revamp like RE2 and RE3 remakes.

Doom 1 wasn’t that boxy IMO. They had corridors that went diagonally! 😏

7 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

I see you guys both point of views, and they're both valid. Mine was more what they can still do at this late stage, before they release this thing. Going back and changing level design and architecture design at this point, is pretty much an impossibility for them.

True.

I think what they're doing is pretty solid for their first 'not a re-release' project. Could have better art direction but consider it's also pretty tricky game to redo without a massive budget and/or straying from the original too much. 

Edited by Buddy
2 hours ago, dux said:

Basically what we are saying is we should be in charge of art and map direction because we are professional arcmhair critics that also work in the gamez.

giphy.gif 

Having the MapCore shit posting crew tear your game apart would be my first move if I wanted to improve my game. And, if I wasn’t one of the shit posters…