Sign in to follow this  
Mojo

Where the Hell is the Front Page!!:!!!

:(

So we have been without a front page for a long time. We had a rather cool one when Zaphod and his friend made one, but in the Great Server Crash of 05, we no longer have a front page. We still have some of the files but since I have become inheriently busy with BIA and such, I just don't have the drive to try and get a Front Page set up. :gonk:

So that is why We are calling on you to come up with a New Design and/or the desire to become our Web Design bitch. The design right now is rather cool, but maybe something new might just be what we need. One of the main things that is desirable is the Front Page thumbnails working. I am sure Mike has more of an idea what is desired here and he is sure to post. We might expand to a few other new pages but for now a good developer is what we are looking for.

Just post in here with links to your work if you are interested and Mike and I shall discuss the issue, have tea and crumpets, and hopefully get a Front Page back up and running at Full Speed.

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I just wanted to make a suggestion regarding the frontpage.

What if you open a new subforum for tutorials, where anybody can write one, and then it can be decided if the thread is good enough to be converted into a "real" tutorial for the frontpage?

There have been several discussions before on what the frontpage could look like and your idea for example insta is one we should consider, but as Mojo said let's use this thread to find out WHO can do the job. Ideas and everything are fine, there are plenty of those and I'm confident we can come up with something cool, but for now, hands down, who is willing to design/code the page?

I don't know, I've always kind of personally admired the front page. I really like the spotlight gallery thumbnails (although it hasen't been working for some time now) and also the recent threads view. That's just my opinion, but perhaps I could work on some stuff now that it's summer.

Low Development

I designed and coded my personal page Low Development, even the silly comments script lol. It's still a work in progress since last summer and I should probably update it more. :roll:

Bless Flashdevil

Anyway thats just to give you an idea of what I'm capable of. This was made last year so who knows maybe I can even do better? :shock:

Well, I might give a hand for the design process but I'm not a coder so PHP/ASP/Whatever is someone elses job.

I to would love to try some graphic stuff.

But i can't be hold up for long :(

Like i couldn't be here every day to change stuff and what not.

But ill play around in PSP for awhile.

Maybe something comes out.

btw....

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I just wanted to make a suggestion regarding the frontpage.

What if you open a new subforum for tutorials, where anybody can write one, and then it can be decided if the thread is good enough to be converted into a "real" tutorial for the frontpage?

Best suggestion ever~

Spellbinder.

i can do proper webdesign and am fairly well with php/mysql but i don't really have much time for this.

anyways if theres small things that need to be done i woudl love to help out

some stuff i made:

http://cmdstud.khlim.be/~beulaers/portfolio/ old portfolio wip

http://cmdstud.khlim.be/~mm05idool05/ a site i coded

http://www.spinvis.net/ code/design/flash.. i did basically everything here xcept for writing the content (theres a hidden content management system there).

http://cmdstud.khlim.be/~olympia/ a small company site i designed/coded

I think that the front page was great for the time that I updated it, but that was a long time ago. Ironically, the very thing that I wanted to be the main focus, dynamically community driven and generated content was exactly the failing of the old front page design. I would strongly discourage any design that has any dependability on any persons to update the front page. Instead, I think that the front page should just be a collection of the highest rated threads from each active forum. I think all aspects of the site should be as dynamic and self sustaining as the forum itself.as any internet community is only as strong as it's ability to ability to keep on functioning as members come and go.

Forgive my long absences, I know I used to be one of the largest proponents and idealests of what mapcore could become, but as of late I have found my interest in develpment past what I am commited to doing for a living to be waning.

P.s. I typed this all on a sidekick and my thumbs hurt like a bitch.

I code straight up html in notepad, and straight up html would not be what you want for this kind of site.

Honestly, i think the front page layout is fine. However, i like the idea of a tutorial bank. Maybe there could be a section on the forums for tutorials, and if they're good, they get added to the tutorial bank.

I like the blue and white color scheme, and the current mapcore logo is cool, so we shouldnt change that.

I think one of the best designs for a site is snarkpit. Not visually, but the way you can add news to the front page and it has the most recent maps made and crap like that is really cool. I just love what you can do with the site. I think it would be hard to make mapcore anything like that, and honestly, i dont suggest we try. I think the only thing we should add is the tutorial thing. And get the five thumbnails thing on the front page back up.

If we do a new layout, it should really have the 5 most recent posts and those leet people thumbnails that we used to have. Now it just says stickyQuery Error where they used to be.

Frontpage should be content driven and have someone or someones responsible for keeping it upto date and fresh. A reward for people who display content here.

hmm something out of the blue......

Have a sticky where ppl could post things that they think could go on the frontpage, and have a moderator or sumething to handle it?

Spellbinder.

Shamelessly copy/pasted from tom's thread:

Yea I agree, that's probably the way it should work. However I wouldn't like to see "the most recent" thread or thread with "most replies", because some stuff isn't very good, maybe just controversial or off-topic, so either we should use a rate system (best rated threads go to the frontpage, downside: threads might be old by the time they make it to the fp) or admins/moderators pick the most interesting threads for the frontpage (downside: the threads still have to be "put" on the frontpage by some person).

I think the later method is the best though, it ensures quality and it's no big deal to click 2 buttons to display it on the fp when you read the forums anyway.