[UE4] [WIP] Ryokan

I like both lighting styles personally. It's cool to see you pushing scale on the scene and really emphasizing verticality with the buildings. But I think this one is overly bloomy in terms of the brightness, and overly saturated on the greens. Getting green values right is really hard. When you bring those saturation values down and look at your scene you should be able to tell where the buildings are lacking in detail, because the saturation is acting as an attention sponge right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the soft pastels and great touches on the bloom. You nailed the architecture too, amazing work.

The interior lighting is probably still temp but it feels a tad bright, I wonder what it would look like if you darkened and saturated the lighting a little bit, it could make it look more cozy.

Really loving this, killing it congrats.

18 minutes ago, ┌HP┘ said:

Love the soft pastels and great touches on the bloom. You nailed the architecture too, amazing work.

The interior lighting is probably still temp but it feels a tad bright, I wonder what it would look like if you darkened and saturated the lighting a little bit, it could make it look more cozy.

Really loving this, killing it congrats.

Thanks a lot ! Yeah im still experimenting with the lighting, thanks for suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great but IMO the tree leaves need some additional internal contrast (and less saturation). The trees in your earlier screenshots felt a lot more satisfying. I also think you are really overloading those flower beds, the flowers won’t pop and look as pretty without some dirt/rocks/less amazing ground to contrast with. In general I think you should explore ways to introduce some dirt and grunge, if only to make the pristine parts of your visuals pop (the building facades also seem unrealistically pristine). Photographs of real places will provide imperfection inspiration.

The interiors are also incredibly clean but they work better in my opinion.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Looks great but IMO the tree leaves need some additional internal contrast (and less saturation). The trees in your earlier screenshots felt a lot more satisfying. I also think you are really overloading those flower beds, the flowers won’t pop and look as pretty without some dirt/rocks/less amazing ground to contrast with. In general I think you should explore ways to introduce some dirt and grunge, if only to make the pristine parts of your visuals pop (the building facades also seem unrealistically pristine). Photographs of real places will provide imperfection inspiration.

The interiors are also incredibly clean but they work better in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right about the overloading thing, i did went a bit overboard with the flowers.

As for the trees i had to disable the tangent normals for the leaves since they were producing really ugly normals by default and that was the only way to fix it. Im using Speedtree and it cant really export to Maya or smth to do the smooth  foliage normals. I've tweaked the shader a bit however and here's the result. Not ideal but that's the only solution for now.

ScreenShot00160.png

Also i was kinda hard pressed to find the examples of the dirt and grime on those types of architecture from the references

unknown.png

Like here for example the walls look really clean. I do have the dirt decals on the edges though but they are fairly subtle. 

: D 

Edited by Corvus
1 hour ago, Corvus said:

Thanks for the feedback. You're right about the overloading thing, i did went a bit overboard with the flowers.

As for the trees i had to disable the tangent normals for the leaves since they were producing really ugly normals by default and that was the only way to fix it. Im using Speedtree and it cant really export to Maya or smth to do the smooth  foliage normals. I've tweaked the shader a bit however and here's the result. Not ideal but that's the only solution for now.

ScreenShot00160.png

Also i was kinda hard pressed to find the examples of the dirt and grime on those types of architecture from the references

unknown.png

Like here for example the walls look really clean. I do have the dirt decals on the edges though but they are fairly subtle. 

: D 

09409490-C8AB-4130-B8EB-C3B973A6E114.jpeg.ec1f4e712d9fdb32395d2e4ec0d0a63b.jpeg

just zoomed in on this. Im not sure to what extent you are going for stylized vs realistic, but I wouldn’t describe that wood or that wall as particularly realistic. It’s basically (from my perception here), some normals on a single-color albedo. If you look at that corner wood plank, it’s looking really much more like plastic than wood. I think that may be a case of an albedo being too clean.

This is not too dissimilar from how Valorant or Overwatch handled similar materials, heavy emphasis on normals to fake or emphasize bevels, very light on the albedo, but you’re going for something far more realistic (Or so it seems).

The wall is almost untextured white. If you want to go for that look, given the limitations of game technology, I think you will have to signal to the viewer that you are doing it on purpose. Light but long and finger-like streaks of stain decals, or intentionally “plaster” bits, right now it doesn’t appear deliberate just how blank it is. Sometimes you have to be more “real” than reality, if that makes sense. That way you can keep your simple albedo and use decals for a pinch of detail.

Same thing with your rooftops. A decal on top of your tiling mesh would add large-scale noise that will help you add detail without throwing a bunch of noise across the entire mesh the way a noisier albedo would.

As for your tree leaves, if you do nothing else, I would dial the saturation back a bit, in my experience a bit of a grey-lime look is going to work better than a full green. 

All of this is just my opinion btw, the scene is really nice. I just think these little things would help