Spanish Town - Unreal 4 VR Environment + Tutorial

Minos

Hey everyone! Think it's time I start sharing progress on my new personal project here with the Core :D

I've been working on this environment for VR, at the same time recording my process to create a tutorial (which I'm aiming to release around March 2021). I occasionally open pre-orders for a very good discount. If you want to be notified when that happens, I invite you to sign up to my mailing list (I always message people in the list earlier than everyone else): https://www.thiagoklafke.com/mailinglist/subscribe/

Here's the latest WIP. I've been working on the back alley area and I'm finally happy with the compositions. This area posed an interesting challenge, and I learned quite a bit about what works in VR and what doesn't (tip: lots of random lines, stairs that go up and down cause instant motion sickness ?). I redid this area twice, but now it feels amazing in VR. No motion sickness and navigation is much better, because I have different points of interests. I'm planning to do another Dev Log video soon focusing on what I've learned in VR, for now, enjoy some screenshots :hurg2:

blockout_alley_01.jpg.f2087934f130c763dc1903a5b9a36962.jpgblockout_alley_02.jpg.fa6e9e1024977b2625897b1c3d8a1e46.jpgblockout_alley_03.jpg.af5edc026c27114d6a38edeaf32c1499.jpgblockout_alley_04.jpg.3c7151dea78d9565a05cc1d480ccbdd8.jpg

And here's a Dev Log where I show where I landed with the design blockout:

• 2 months later...

When I was learning SD, I was put off by how long the official videos are. So I recorded a crash course introduction, where I show only the main tools you need to know to make cool textures, and also the general method that I use for most textures, so you can go from zero to this in about an hour and half :)

There's a lot more I can do to this texture to make it look much better, but I wanted to keep it simple and not overwhelm the user with too many different concepts:
image.png.5a75dd4ecb68719de6235e521c79c162.png

Another weekend, another update :D

I just finished recording a "crash course" on making textures, by using a combination of Substance Designer, Photoshop and Zbrush. I start from zero and assume that you never used SD or Zbrush before, and walk through the tools I use the most. Still a lot of polish to do with these, but I'm digging how graphic they look already :)

HighresScreenshot00026.jpg.fce90eaa80a0223840a6ce7322c7d00f.jpg

18 hours ago, blackdog said:

I love the minimalistic-yet-realistic look you have going on, not sure how much you’ll push it in terms of fidelity going forward, looking forward to the next updates 

Thanks man!

I think the style is starting to become clear for me now. I don't want it to be super stylized, but not super realistic either. Hyperreal would be how I'd describe it :D

Here's a blend material to paint damage on the plaster wall:

and a screenshot with messed up UVs :P

TK_SPN_Wall_Plaster_01.jpg.19f730168152228b83b11a97a1626df8.jpg

• 6 months later...

lol, haven't updated this thread in a long time :D I've been working on this on and off throughout the year and I'm getting close to calling it done. The architecture is about 90% done, then it's time for the backdrop, foliage (all temp assets now), set dressing and polish... well I actually still have quite a bit left to do, but feels good to be over the most critical part (architecture).

Here are some pics of where I am at:

image.png.82f051cc2019d887be29e62a9fb6806a.png

image.png.66b1d1e084e3939eee51668471d89313.png

image.png.91d44e35843114e567d9272da608fa5f.png