Sign in to follow this  
Zarsky

007 by IOI

Surely if anyone can finally make another good bond game (after Goldeneye) it's these guys with this engine. If they stick to the subterfuge and the hiding-in-plain-sight of the Hitman series, but with bond's gadgets, it could be class. I just hope they don't feel the need to put in an awkward driving section.

I'm glad a European company is making this, and not a US or Canadian studio. I just know they'd plaster the game with modern bullshit and forget that video games shine best when they're made for escapism.

Last few years IOI have been killing it, and working with a new IP will be refreshing for those guys, and Bond is the perfect fit

3 hours ago, PaulH said:

Surely if anyone can finally make another good bond game (after Goldeneye) it's these guys with this engine. If they stick to the subterfuge and the hiding-in-plain-sight of the Hitman series, but with bond's gadgets, it could be class. I just hope they don't feel the need to put in an awkward driving section.

My concern would be a game that is too much of a Hitman clone and leaning too much on gadgets. Bond is actually not that subtle, and the films have gone up in pacing more and more over time... I'd want to be able to somewhat parkour, slide, hand-to-hand combat.

I rather not have a driving section if it's terrible because of tech/time/budget (I'm thinking of the horrible Bourne game), but it's undeniable that a big part of the 007 brand/allure is cars... think of the amount of gadgets they pack in those Bond-cars. And then there are always epic car chases in each Bond film... you remember Carmack talking about a 70-30 proportion when marketing Rage? I wouldn't say in Bond films the split is that high, but at least a 15%? Plus boat chases, jetpacks, on-ski chases, parkour, underwater shootouts (way before COD Ghosts did it)...

I mean are we joking :D

Edited by blackdog

21 hours ago, blackdog said:

My concern would be a game that is too much of a Hitman clone and leaning too much on gadgets. Bond is actually not that subtle, and the films have gone up in pacing more and more over time... I'd want to be able to somewhat parkour, slide, hand-to-hand combat.

I rather not have a driving section if it's terrible because of tech/time/budget (I'm thinking of the horrible Bourne game), but it's undeniable that a big part of the 007 brand/allure is cars... think of the amount of gadgets they pack in those Bond-cars. And then there are always epic car chases in each Bond film... you remember Carmack talking about a 70-30 proportion when marketing Rage? I wouldn't say in Bond films the split is that high, but at least a 15%? Plus boat chases, jetpacks, on-ski chases, parkour, underwater shootouts (way before COD Ghosts did it)...

I mean are we joking :D

I had forgotten how silly things got in the pierce brosnan films. The submarine car was pretty cool, but even that was pushed too far with the underwater battle. Happy that they decided to reboot the series after things went too wild.

Regarding car chases, I'd be happy to play a chase akin Uncharted 4.....that's the bar.

Come to think of it, uncharted 4 with more advanced stealth mechanics would probably fit a modern Bond game pretty well!

Edited by Zarsky

3 hours ago, Zarsky said:

I had forgotten how silly things got in the pierce brosnan films. The submarine car was pretty cool, but even that was pushed too far with the underwater battle. Happy that they decided to reboot the series after things went too wild.

Regarding car chases, I'd be happy to play a chase akin Uncharted 4.....that's the bar.

Come to think of it, uncharted 4 with more advanced stealth mechanics would probably fit a modern Bond game pretty well!

It's always been very wacky, but they definitely started to put too much emphasis on the gadgets and have one for every situation*, rather than a few mindful ones... it's the same arc the Batman films went on, basically, and that's why I got to like the Daniel Craig version the most** (along Roger Moore that was what I watched growing up).
While looking up all those videos for the post I also re-watched the chase in Rome from Spectre and they did have a pun in regard to car gadgets, as basically all gadgets were non-functional.

I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet but I saw the video and on that base alone I agree.

* I guess it makes it easy on the writers too!
**but I didn't like Skyfall and they threw the story right into the shitter with Spectre

Edited by blackdog