Dune

blackdog

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot there was a thread about this, movie was incredible. Very close to how it played out in my head reading the books and the grand scale of everything was a great way of showing the larger scale of politics and control the books go about in detail without having to tell the viewer. 

Also Spice silos! I don't recall those being in the book. New Dune strategy game plz

image.thumb.png.0894d98368c3ced08890f0a04db7f8bf.png

Maybe I’m just a total sucker for Lynch, but I also liked the original. There are some things I probably liked more about the original than this one. But there is no doubt that part of what made the original so ridiculous is that it tried to compress the entire book into a single film. It already feels much more manageable. I wish Lynch had that option, I assume the studio said no (which sucks, Star Wars around the same time got 3 films.)

Props to Timothy Chalamander, he was really good as Paul. I almost prefer him to my man Twin Peaks Kyle, who didn’t have much edge as a young man. 

Spoiler

When Timmy used the voice it was startling and really effective.

Also Zimmer's score simply rocked. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:51 AM, blackdog said:

should I read the books before watching this?

And watch the original film? - I know it’s not a sequel, but wonder if would give any benefit, or would make the grandiosity of the new one less powerful.

You can just watch it. My gf didn't know anything about Dune and had no problem understanding anything and loved the movie. 

Highly recommend the books though! And the David Lynch movie has a special place in my heart despite being a pretty flawed movie. First half of it is gold

Holy shit... the movie is amazing, and I walked in with mildly high expectations given who the director is, (I've never read the books, but I will now!!) I'm so stoked there's going to be 2 more!

Denis Villenueve quickly becoming one of the best modern film makers

- Incendies 
- Prisoners 
- Enemy
- Sicario 
- Arrival
- Blade Runner 2049
- Dune

19 minutes ago, ┌HP┘ said:

Holy shit... the movie is amazing, and I walked in with mildly high expectations given who the director is, (I've never read the books, but I will now!!) I'm so stoked there's going to be 2 more!

Denis Villenueve quickly becoming one of the best modern film makers

- Incendies 
- Prisoners 
- Enemy
- Sicario 
- Arrival
- Blade Runner 2049
- Dune

I didn't realize he did Sicario. That movie owned. I need to watch Bladerunner, haven't seen that yet