ThunderKeil

[CSGO] Natural History Museum (London)

For some reason looking at the first picture I thought this was about Source 2 VR 😮 This looks stunning man! I'm going to take a look at it right now!

EDIT: What game is this for?

Edited by JorisCeoen

I've been there last year, i took a few pictures of the main gallery which look same as screens you have there. I wanted to compare with the Batman Arkham Penguin Museum challenge map, I think they lifted that map from this as well.

Well done, definitely feels there, and with the custom textures looks a lot like one of those virtual tours 

Ah, never played Arkham City but I just looked at a video of the level. Yea, they've definitely taken some of this architecture for that map, but the layout's entirely custom as far as I can tell. Makes sense, really, the real museum's layout is pretty barebones when you get down to it, which I think they're trying to counteract nowadays by putting up a lot of temporary walls to kind of subsection the big halls into more densely usable spaces. Quite enjoying the arkham interpretation though, very bioshock-esque

[edit] was gonna upload a new file last night but I noticed some oversights that I'd like to fix first, here's a screenshot of the redone east hallway though - you'll notice the lighting is kinda drab because I forgot to make the windows transparent

Spoiler

13.jpg

Edited by ThunderKeil

New file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PKLII33cFCqnOnBOmLTD8dFUealSDCbY/view

Changelog;

• rebuilt east hallway
  • added details to hallway entrances & ground floor display chambers
  • redid parts of the north hall second floor
  • added details on third floor & got a bark texture for the sequoia slice
  • fixed clipping & missing walls at ground floor main hall wing entrances
  • fixed west hallway ''triple arch'' texture & rebuilt mesh
  • general texture cleanup
  • general clipping fixes
  • found out renamed map files don't run cubemaps lol (which still affects this release but I'll try to remember it for the next one)
  • increased spawn points from 2 to 24
Spoiler

17.jpg.af2029ceb1e08dc61edb3f458410a62f.jpg18.jpg.e61cd737a26084e919fdd9007b5b6bdb.jpg19.jpg.6e287d4e79ab6e878ef25b1e172da13e.jpg20.jpg.c5c2e07e167dc7f6321a4520ce7ea6a2.jpg

Edited by ThunderKeil

New file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YkZuPrQqfLiIxi3H_QLo2N1lZ7pFuFRc/view

Changelog; (yea it lists some v minor things but this was kinda just my checklist as I was editing the map)

• east hallway: added doorway on end right
  • east hallway: entryway ceiling/texture
  • east hallway: back wall new texture
  • east hallway: display case side textures
  • west hallway: ceiling/window textures
  • west hallway: arch1 texture improvements
  • west hallway: ceiling arch texture
  • parallel hall: ceiling/window textures
  • parallel hall(way): arch1 & arch2 textures
  • wing hall: wall/window texture
  • main stairway texture improvements
  • upper bridge texture improvements
  • main hall second floor: new mesh for stained glass windows
  • main hall second floor: new stained glass projection
  • main hall second floor: goat gate unique texture & mesh
  • main hall second floor: moa room stained glass mesh
  • main hall: new window textures
  • main hall: improved / added more floor textures
  • fixed ''inside'' textures on all arches (maybe temp idk yet)
  • adjusted cubemaps & remembered not to rename bsp

Since it's relatively small changes all over the map I feel like new screenshots aren't super warranted right now, they're still meaningful changes though so if you're interested in the map please don't hesitate to get the newest version. [edit] got some new screenshots anyway but I decided to replace the ones in the main post rather than put them here

I'm kinda hoping this'll be my last upload before the ''rc1'', so if any of you *do* experience a crash while running this map, please let me know sooner rather than later. I've still yet to have issues on my end with these files but it wouldn't be the first time I'm getting some weird behaviour so honestly idk maybe my editor is just cursed.

Full release / rc1 will mostly mean colour correcting all the textures and adjusting clip meshes here and there, but since there's at least ( * glances at materials folder * ) like a hundred unique textures that's not necessarily just one afternoon of work. Also my texture editing folder's like 23GB and entirely not sorted so that's not gonna help speed things along ( ._.) Either way yea don't sit on the edge of your seat waiting for it and please download this release so I can fix some of the inevitable glaring oversights

Edited by ThunderKeil

Thanks for 1000 views everyone ^_^

I've been kind of busy the past 2 weeks so I didn't find much time to work on the map. I've sorted & renamed most of the relevant textures though, so there's still some progress on that end

Don't intend to include this in any public releases, but here's a screenshot of the main hall with real-time reflections from a few weeks ago. It's kind of washed out & I could have gotten it looking better if I didn't layer the reflection over the regular floor, but then I'd've had to make like 10 different materials and idk I was probably tired

1.jpg.433d95de57a13c7bcce3b2b541efb3bb.jpg

opaque reflections for reference;

Spoiler

2.jpg.3108290dc09287ebc41a8d3f6c25c7a9.jpg

Edited by ThunderKeil

Pretty much in the last stretch now, managed to do some good work on it through the autumn break but still falling just short of what I'd confidently call the RC1. Finally got lighting figured out a bit though, and swapped out all the dynamic models for static ones - so better shadows and no more seams.

Got nearly all the textures' colour and brightness normalized, and improved the meshes on all the custom props with much increased polycount as well as adding some more details while I was at it. Most of the map's detailing up till now had been done with - well - at lack of a beter phrase; hammer sensibilities. I should clarify that I have little if any real modelling experience, and rather have mostly just limited myself to working within the source sdk itself. This has caused some quirks in my work, such as that I (with very few exceptions) only create lines at relatively specific angles, as well as that I tend to be pretty conservative with my brushwork - well, conservative compared to someone using modelling software, but pretty liberal by hammer standards. On this map though, I hit the block and waterindice limit right before I intended to upload the first public version on here, so I had to start using propper to get that back down.

Since that pretty much completely removed my constraints, I've been able to add much more detail than originally planned, which is kind of a monkey's paw since I'd hoped to be done with it much sooner. What was I getting at again? Oh right - so the point is that even though I'd converted most of the map details into props, they were still designed with ''how do I make this out of as few blocks as possible'' in mind, which means very large and often very elongated polygons. So, yea, I've subdivided them and tried to equalize the polygon size a bit, which has improved the lighting a lot.

I've also culled some of what I considered redundant areas - in effect about half of the wing & parallel halls, since they were all just copies of oneanother. Some of the doors in the east hall are open now though, and the stairwell is fully usable now, too. Not very well detailed, mind you, but it's very hard to find references for it, nevermind create some acceptable textures.

1.jpg.9531999f27422c3c5acc12555f79efe6.jpg

Spoiler

2.jpg.68f0e48ac4bd8544983646eaf66eb1af.jpg3.jpg.67253c07d61a05f4ed79122e2aa93e5d.jpg4.jpg.e0fb2ad1cfee7e382d83c48db9beab3c.jpg5.jpg.01bc2c63acf2ef4a837cfb41362d7aef.jpg6.jpg.69e5f3de31628e382144119ad21aebff.jpg7.jpg.7a1a24471414902fac5db29776bb1056.jpg8.jpg.761c14ed24d38ba11742b9c5a5a85e4e.jpg10.jpg.8b6c0364c4da7e00446819f212c91246.jpg

Edited by ThunderKeil