Sign in to follow this  
zastels

Source 2 first impressions

Worked great since 1998, but now the camera system is backwards. So like, what am I supposed to do, change it in the settings or adapt? There is this great conflict inside of me now because I don't know if I should try and go with the new default, it seems extremely counter productive compared to Hammer 1; or if I just change it in settings? I can't figure out why they made it backwards though, it's like you're working left handed the way it is set up. 

Is it possible to just launch Hammer without all this other stuff? Why is the f9 build engine a tiny window I can't resize, and I can't find any settings to change it. Why does opening console close the game? 

Why does none of the UI scale properly? It looks bad in every setup I have tried, and every Youtube video I've seen I think people have the same UI scaling issue, this software is very cramped and does not display correctly in many areas seemingly for everyone. If you don't have any issues, please tell me your setup and post a screenshot of your Properties Menu. Especially bad is the Properties Menu on my setup from 1080p to 4k it looks broken. 

Why does the geometry tool not let you create a plane? I don't see a point in building with blocks if you can just build on a single plane and only add a plane when you need it. Maybe it has to do with vis calculation? So we're still doing the block thing? 

There are many many annoying changes to adapt to with Source 2. However I am now fully adapted, and can honestly say none of it is that big of a deal. I will concede to you that being able to launch Hammer directly would be nice.

You can create planes but it consists of deleting 5 faces of a cube. 

Not being able to resize the f9 menu is some kind of annoying bug.

I remember feeling extremely cramped in Source 2 at first, but I got used to it.

Overall you’re noticing normal stuff to be annoyed by, it goes away after a while.

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

There are many many annoying changes to adapt to with Source 2. However I am now fully adapted, and can honestly say none of it is that big of a deal. I will concede to you that being able to launch Hammer directly would be nice.

You can create planes but it consists of deleting 5 faces of a cube. 

Not being able to resize the f9 menu is some kind of annoying bug.

I remember feeling extremely cramped in Source 2 at first, but I got used to it.

Overall you’re noticing normal stuff to be annoyed by, it goes away after a while.

I remember Spark editor geometry was a breeze. Maybe Valve could take notes? : |

2 hours ago, zastels said:

I remember Spark editor geometry was a breeze. Maybe Valve could take notes? : |

I can’t remember disliking Spark from a geo standpoint, I remember it being highly decent and had fun with it. But texturing sucked with it, once you get used to hotspotting in Source 2 you will understand that it’s not just about ease of creating geometry but also ease of applying textures to that geometry.