T-Rexer

Frostbite - Danger Zone

On 7/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, JorisCeoen said:

Is this a trend or are people gearing up winter-themed maps for a chance in the next 2020 operation¬†ūüėõ? Michael just released his snowy Dagner Zone map like a few weeks back¬†as well. It's actually surprisingly similar in visual appearance as well.

This looks very nice, good job, always impressive with these large scale levels in source engine.

The past few years, guess after the first few operations Mapcore can feel as either an extension of the entitled CS:GO community or a lot of contrarians who will question all feedback "I dont read books cause it will make me a less unique author", but I think that a lot of valid stuff has been posted here, especially Wintrius post is some feedback that I¬īd take to heart. It reminds me of a time when we were aspiring to learn and develop and not aspiring to be right. I suggest listening to those detailed feedback posts ūüėÉ

4 hours ago, Vaya said:

Since CS weapons have crazy quick kill time players could just hold inner areas with no chance of people breaching it. it's also kinda bad for flow.

Well of they are a T they have to push the objective, if they are a CT they have to defend the objective. So it just depends on where the dead ends are, they might not be worth defending. When it comes to methods it's better to address them on a case by case basis to see if they work in the context of the map, instead of simply spotting these as instant red flags

1 hour ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Well of they are a T they have to push the objective, if they are a CT they have to defend the objective. So it just depends on where the dead ends are, they might not be worth defending. When it comes to methods it's better to address them on a case by case basis to see if they work in the context of the map, instead of simply spotting these as instant red flags

It's more about map control theory. If you commit a player to an area that happens to be a dead end  with not really advantages, you wasted a lot of resources. It is really bad feeling to commit to an area to realise its a dead end.

1 hour ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

sir this is a dangerzone map.

5 hours ago, blackdog said:

I feel like 3kliksphilip is dead wrong when he says there is no way to plan out a DZ map and that the best way is to build it out and hope for the best. 

Blacksite, for example,¬†is brilliantly built and I'll be damned if it that map wasn't thoughtfully planned out. I have 500+ wins in dangerzone and I've spent quite a bit of time analyzing the map and there is a lot to appreciate in regard to gameplay design choices. There are so many angles and cover placements with clear¬†intention, and¬†all designed¬†while making the areas unique and with little repetition. The terrain elevations all make perfect sense in terms of how they¬†limit visibility from one area to another and the whole map just flows beautiful¬†both¬†visually and from a gameplay perspective ‚ÄĒit's just hard to believe it was all a shot in the dark. I'm sure many things were fine tuned, but I think they must have planned out the map in broad strokes pretty thoughtfully.

Even in DZ, I think you still want to design with the mindset of having a fair degree of¬†predictability. Players are generally¬†going to¬†have more choices by virtue of the fact that it's a more open map, but I think the designer should still show restraint and make choices with clear intention to avoid complete¬†chaos. This is my biggest criticism¬†of Jungle‚ÄĒit doesn't feel like it was planned for Dangerzone gameplay at all, but rather aimed to capture an environment first and foremost. This was most evident with all the porous buildings, open yet¬†inaccessible¬†windows, sparse cover placement and repetitive locations.

I haven't had a chance to play around Frostbite yet, but I'm eager to check it out and provide some feedback. I dig the Ski resort theme. Congrats on the release!

we played both arctic and frostbite last night on the mapcore server. I think frostbite feels a lot more planned and there's more consistency in the environments. @Kokopelli if you want to play we'll be doing another with the new version soonish.

12 hours ago, Kokopelli said:

I feel like 3kliksphilip is dead wrong when he says there is no way to plan out a DZ map and that the best way is to build it out and hope for the best. 

Yeah he‚Äôs good at analysing data, do ‚Äúbusy¬†work‚ÄĚ, but I wouldn‚Äôt take he‚Äôs judgment on maps too seriously, like Warowl looks much more understanding mechanics in that regard.

I haven’t over analysed DZ maps, I played Blacksite some, but once I got my win solo and in a team I felt accomplished. I don’t enjoy as much as a normal match. I do like the much bigger environment as there’s space for environmental storytelling and it feels you are more on your toes. I guess there’s not enough to do (no vehicles, no special traversal), and that the formula is a bit too harsh (compared to say Apex Legends where you can take more damage and respawn).

But yeah I think DZ maps still need to be planned, you need a ‚Äúnuclear‚ÄĚ structure that makes you see an intentional design at any level, you look at the overall map or smaller and smaller areas, down to the single building. This makes me feel it would be easier to design a DZ map than a competitive DE‚Ķ in the sense at some point you kinda have to raise your hands as you don‚Äôt have to/can‚Äôt be as strict and intentional as in a competitive map where everything is so tight and dependent. But I am probably wrong as I‚Äôve never even tried to build one :D

9 hours ago, blackdog said:

I guess there’s not enough to do (no vehicles, no special traversal), and that the formula is a bit too harsh (compared to say Apex Legends where you can take more damage and respawn).

Have you played DangerZone since march 2019? It has special traversal in the form of the exo jump item and bump mines. It also has respawning, some would argue the most forgiving respawn system out of any BR game.

19 minutes ago, fewseb said:

Have you played DangerZone since march 2019? It has special traversal in the form of the exo jump item and bump mines. It also has respawning, some would argue the most forgiving respawn system out of any BR game.

Actually I haven‚Äôt, I saw the videos about the jump items but forgot‚Ķ not as slick as a zip line ūüė¨¬†Never heard they added respawn tho!

Edited by blackdog

Frostbite Update 3

We could finally update frostbite today with an update that has been long in the works, but was delayed due to the wingman contest. It is now finally out and it’s a big one!

We addressed a lot of the feedback from the start that everything looks a bit too similar, therefore we redesigned parts of the map with new buildings and structures that better fit into the environment. Additionally, we fixed tons a small issues and improved gameplay with more cover in open areas and finally fixed the drones on the workshop version of the map!

I would say the map is now in a state, we had originally intended it to be in. There are some issues on the current version we are aware of, but please feel free to share everything you find here.   

Patch notes:

[General]

- Made rock and cliff collision models more accurate

- Tweaked map boundary rock formations and clipping

- Added rocks and fences to some areas to break up open spaces with no cover

- Reworked several buildings around the ski slope to be more unique based on feedback

- Fixed strange z-fighting issue with some of the cabin buildings on nonstandard resolutions

- Adjusted weapon crate spawn locations in some areas of the map and added more to others

- Improved visual look and feel of various areas

[Cove]

- Slightly rotated turret hut

[Tunnels]

- Adjusted func_tablet_blocker under ladder entrances

[Village]

- Adjusted fence to allow entrance from the ski slope 

- Made the snow on the roofs fluffy and smooth to walk on

[Shack]

- Added ladder to reach balcony

[Radar]

- Added stairs for better movement

[Misc]

- Drones now work in the Workshop version of the map

- Player controlled drones are now stopped at the map boundaries

- Raised some fences that were buried in snow

- Added some trees all across the map

- Adjusted prop fade distance on some props

- Various minor fixes to misaligned props 

- Connected more of the map to the power grid

Pictures of some of the new buildings:

1.jpg.72d0dfe84914a8e089474515225810c6.jpg3.jpg.64708fbb9ea12a5fd7756128d4e20128.jpg4.jpg.c29a389e091a16d50f4ccedf3ddc1c76.jpg2.jpg.153863fee5847ca688cf89da43068e52.jpg

5.jpg