T-Rexer

Frostbite - Danger Zone

Hey @Wintrius , thanks for the feedback. I definitely agree with almost everything you said. The repetitive buildings and interiors can be addressed, though it is not that easy to make it vastly more detailed for optimization reasons, but I agree that areas are very empty. We will address all of that through updates in the future.

The map is definitely great, however the amount of chefs in the kitchen definitely starts to show. I feel there is a lack of cohesion between certain areas. Some buildings feel out of scale in general, somethings are overly detailed, some things are empty. I also find it strange how different snow textures are used and their implementation, you have nice custom hd snow, the that one hd snow from Monestary and those are usually worked in really nicely through blend work and custom props. Other times you have the low res snow from css that its just plopped on top of something with obvious edges from where the displacement go underneath a surface. The tunnel in particular has a basic geometry and no finer details while the rood is just a snow textures applied on flatly with no transition between it and the walls and no depths of the snow itself.

I also worry about areas that look so similar. The ski lift hubs in particular lack identifying details. Something like a different colored paint stripe and a number to make them distinct would be nice, I also noticed how the bakery building with the militia food stack in the back was used twice with next to no changes in between the separate buildings. I honestly though I had somehow gone in a circle the first time I exited one and entered the other. Them being that similar is not good for gameplay.

Lastly I noticed a large discrepancy in asset quality. For most of the map you have a lot of nicely done custom models and well crafted structures. Others use older, extremely low quality props that are just sort of crammed in. I noticed how the church uses so many Vostok assets and just sort of sticks them on, its honestly hard to tell the church is more then a basic cube at times because of how little depth he building has. Like wise the crusty food stacks and DoD Source breads in the bakeries contrast harshly with the HD assets used around them. I think using old assets is fine usually but they just dont work here, something as simple as upscaling the textures would go a long way.

I applaud you for not making an island however where the boundaries of the map are could be better defined, alot of the slopes meant to be too steep to climb I know I could climb if the invisible wall wasnt there. Something simple like a barbed wire fence or hedge would mark it better.

As a last note, not something necessarily important. But I found the location to be a little inconsistent. I would assume its set in Germany based off the German language signs. But so many areas also have signs in English and while I guess the assumption is that English speakers have set up shop to make the place into a Danger Zone test area I find a lot of the sign work to be unnatural, like there a lot of red Dangerzone signs put in areas that dont seem to mean anything. Like why would they just put up random Signs related to Danger Zone around town and in the ski lift hub, the signs work in the under ground areas but not so much in the old civilian areas. Like wise the amount of signs telling you to watch you step or put on your respirator outside of the under ground areas seems nonsensical.  Again its nothing major but it comes off as uncanny running around in game.

There is a lot of dead ends. I don't like it and it's bad for gameplay imo. Also underground is very linear.

Last thing. Make ski lift moving and I can see this map in game. 

Ice texture is pretty cool. Good job guys!

1 hour ago, fewseb said:

I also find it strange how different snow textures are used and their implementation, you have nice custom hd snow, the that one hd snow from Monestary and those are usually worked in really nicely through blend work and custom props. Other times you have the low res snow from css that its just plopped on top of something with obvious edges from where the displacement go underneath a surface.

I'll let others address the other issues you mentioned but this one specifically caught my eye. Every snow texture on our map is custom, we don't use Monastery or CSS snow.

Is this a trend or are people gearing up winter-themed maps for a chance in the next 2020 operation 😛? Michael just released his snowy Dagner Zone map like a few weeks back as well. It's actually surprisingly similar in visual appearance as well.

40 minutes ago, JorisCeoen said:

Is this a trend or are people gearing up winter-themed maps for a chance in the next 2020 operation 😛? Michael just released his snowy Dagner Zone map like a few weeks back as well. It's actually surprisingly similar in visual appearance as well.

We started this map before him.

20 hours ago, Slimek said:

I'll let others address the other issues you mentioned but this one specifically caught my eye. Every snow texture on our map is custom, we don't use Monastery or CSS snow.

Well I looked at it again and you are right the snow on top of the tunnel is custom, I thought it was the css snow.

I also noticed that all of the ski lift hubs are missing either a top texture or a continuation of the beam so you can see through the bottom half. Also despite clearly being metal the hub prop itself just makes generic step sounds when you walk on it.

dz_frostbite0000.jpg.4af2cdae5d14c1e45839526f6e291e7f.jpg

Edited by fewseb

Awseome work! When I went through it I noticed just a few minor things.

It would be nice with more ways to jump on top of roofs, especially the flat ones if the drones drop items on top of them. Also some of the windows on the top ski-lift building look like you can jump through them, but you can't.

dz_frostbite_01.jpg

dz_frostbite_02.jpg

dz_frostbite_03.jpg

dz_frostbite_05.jpg

dz_frostbite_17.jpg

dz_frostbite_14.jpg

"feedback" :"empty áreas, empty buildings"...(in other words:make it look like pubg, far cry 4/5). Well, the source engine it is stretched to its límits anyway in the case of dz maps s-o i don't see a reason to add more detail. 

1 hour ago, Serialmapper said:

"feedback" :"empty áreas, empty buildings"...(in other words:make it look like pubg, far cry 4/5). Well, the source engine it is stretched to its límits anyway in the case of dz maps s-o i don't see a reason to add more detail. 

That is not true. You can take a look on official dz maps. They dont have much empty spaces. I think more details in some areas is a valid feedback.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:16 AM, zombi said:

There is a lot of dead ends. I don't like it and it's bad for gameplay imo. Also underground is very linear.

Last thing. Make ski lift moving and I can see this map in game. 

Ice texture is pretty cool. Good job guys!

How are dead ends bad for gameplay?