Let's talk VR

-HP-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Dunno if I'm more surprised that GameTrailers is still alive (thought was closed? Has it been relaunched recently?) or that they are still milking RE4.

A bump in graphics could have been nice... they have mistreated this game so much imo. Like how is the Dreamcast version the nicer to look at, and the PC port uses the Playstation lower detail trees and stuff.

I still have to play it ? been in my library for probably like ten years lol

7 hours ago, Radu said:

Vee ARR-haven't played anything else since HLA

Same, however there haven't been many pancake games I've played lately either. I cannot remember the last time the industry was in such an uninspired rut, this is I think the worst it has ever been in my lifetime. Cyberpunk was the only big game release I was looking forward to, and it was universally panned to the point where I didn't even bother playing it.

If things continue this way, I don't even think I would call myself a fan of video games anymore. I will play a new Mario or Zelda game when it comes out, basically the same gaming habits as a young kid, certainly not a hardcore gamer anymore. The industry is in total free-fall it seems, it cannot tackle new and exciting projects successfully. At least VR is an attempt.

Long-term, I see myself being more interested in playing a new VR release than a big pancake release, but a wireless headset would be a big help.

2 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Same, however there haven't been many pancake games I've played lately either. I cannot remember the last time the industry was in such an uninspired rut, this is I think the worst it has ever been in my lifetime. Cyberpunk was the only big game release I was looking forward to, and it was universally panned to the point where I didn't even bother playing it.

If things continue this way, I don't even think I would call myself a fan of video games anymore. I will play a new Mario or Zelda game when it comes out, basically the same gaming habits as a young kid, certainly not a hardcore gamer anymore. The industry is in total free-fall it seems, it cannot tackle new and exciting projects successfully. At least VR is an attempt.

Long-term, I see myself being more interested in playing a new VR release than a big pancake release, but a wireless headset would be a big help.

I also found myself pretty disappointed with triple A releases, so I turned my attention to indies and haven't been more impressed with how creative people can be. It's not that triple A releases are downright terrible, but they've become more like junk food with photoshoped flashy advertisements. And even though it's becoming rare to play something that's thoroughly good in that space, it still happens. It's just a matter of setting your expectations in order. 

35 minutes ago, Radu said:

I also found myself pretty disappointed with triple A releases, so I turned my attention to indies and haven't been more impressed with how creative people can be. It's not that triple A releases are downright terrible, but they've become more like junk food with photoshoped flashy advertisements. And even though it's becoming rare to play something that's thoroughly good in that space, it still happens. It's just a matter of setting your expectations in order. 

The last indie game I played that really impressed me was Obra Dinn, and it was an impressive and cool experience, but still a 3-4 hour journey and started to get kinda old at the end. I just don't have the energy as a consumer to dig through Steam for that kind of an experience, the payoff isn't worth it ultimately.

AAA drove itself off a cliff. I think video games as a medium still have the power to make all other forms of entertainment obsolete, but if you look at streaming services right now, they are well funded, available in the living room, and they are what is driving the conversation in media today. To my thinking, a portable VR device is what it will take to out-do that.

So I have been away from mapcore for awhile but I have been really busy regarding VR development.

Anyone here interested in hearing a story about how I have become a virtual reality night club owner in vrchat?

PS : I think the entire game industry is still mostly confused about how the VR market actually works.

2 hours ago, FMPONE said:

The last indie game I played that really impressed me was Obra Dinn, and it was an impressive and cool experience, but still a 3-4 hour journey and started to get kinda old at the end. I just don't have the energy as a consumer to dig through Steam for that kind of an experience, the payoff isn't worth it ultimately.

Have you looked at the GMTK end of the year look back where he goes through a few games with inventive game design?

4 hours ago, FMPONE said:

AAA drove itself off a cliff. I think video games as a medium still have the power to make all other forms of entertainment obsolete, but if you look at streaming services right now, they are well funded, available in the living room, and they are what is driving the conversation in media today. To my thinking, a portable VR device is what it will take to out-do that.

I would love to think you're right, but when you get down to it people watch tv (in whatever form it is provided) because it takes very little effort, not because it is the most entertaining

That doesn't mean HMDs don't stand a chance, but I think AR really has a much better shot for mass adoption; both because people don't have to move all their furniture out of the way & because [maybe this is just me] I think on some level most people would prefer not to be regularly going about doing shit while practically blindfolded even if it's in their own home

When you look at VR as it's depicted in the media, they quite universally agree the first point is an inarguable obstacle that has to be overcome - so the user must either be tethered in a harnass of whichever sort ( ready player one ) or have their motor functions inhibited and passed through directly ( SAO ), and lets be honest the latter is a horrible idea for . . most reasons.

With that perspective, I think it's reasonable to say VR can never truly be both portable and used to its full potential. AR, on the other hand, doesn't suffer those same restrictions, so - . . you know, like SAO except, like, season 4 or whenever that was. Also, either form could reasonably be used as a virtual 100inch tv, but on an AR set you wouldn't have to worry about motion sickness at all, so I'd argue it still wins out in that usecase.

Kind of out of left field, but have you read Fahrenheit 451? The ''parlor wall'' concept ( a form of television where people take on an acting role in the program themselves ) is quite interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not to say I don't have faith in VR, I just think it's overoptimistic to compare it to non-interactive & low-engagement entertainment in terms of market potential

Also you didn't really ask but I always recommend this to anyone who does ( not VR related just an indie game I enjoyed )

Edited by ThunderKeil

1 hour ago, ThunderKeil said:

That's not to say I don't have faith in VR, I just think it's overoptimistic to compare it to non-interactive & low-engagement entertainment in terms of market potential

The biggest aspect that VR brings to the table is the social aspect. This drives the entire medium on a fundamental level. I think a lot game devs are still thinking about this in terms of just the game industry vs VR. While something like Half Life : Alyx might come off as a tour deforce standard of the medium it actually comes off a bit tone def.

Virtual reality is actually a disruptive technology where it encompasses and absorbs everything outside of it. Due to the proprietary nature of the development tools and rules of a metaverse very little can escape. I call it a black hole effect, its clearly observable when you pay attention to any functional metaverse right now. Content comes in but rarely ever leaves. Either it be Halo Spartans, Gundams or Hatsuna Miku and everything between, all of it ends up in a metaverse like a junkyard.

The social aspect sparks all of the above into a perpetual motion. So if you are thinking about this just in terms of whether or not a HMD compares to a large screen TV then you need to remember that with VR and its social aspect the proper comparison is a large screen TV vs going to the movie theater with friends. Doing game development, with friends. Playing console games, with friends. And so on.

I don't even think the tech technically needs to get much better than it is right now to outright replace social media. The metaverse is twitter, youtube and facebook on absolute steroids and everything you bring into the metaverse even if it already existed outside of it will quickly become a popular multiplayer experience even if its meant to be a solo experience. Games built without this mindset are actually going against the grain. VR requires a hyper social metaverse to reach its peak capacity. 

Edited by Castle

1 hour ago, ThunderKeil said:

I would love to think you're right, but when you get down to it people watch tv (in whatever form it is provided) because it takes very little effort, not because it is the most entertaining

That doesn't mean HMDs don't stand a chance, but I think AR really has a much better shot for mass adoption; both because people don't have to move all their furniture out of the way & because [maybe this is just me] I think on some level most people would prefer not to be regularly going about doing shit while practically blindfolded even if it's in their own home

When you look at VR as it's depicted in the media, they quite universally agree the first point is an inarguable obstacle that has to be overcome - so the user must either be tethered in a harnass of whichever sort ( ready player one ) or have their motor functions inhibited and passed through directly ( SAO ), and lets be honest the latter is a horrible idea for . . most reasons.

With that perspective, I think it's reasonable to say VR can never truly be both portable and used to its full potential. AR, on the other hand, doesn't suffer those same restrictions, so - . . you know, like SAO except, like, season 4 or whenever that was. Also, either form could reasonably be used as a virtual 100inch tv, but on an AR set you wouldn't have to worry about motion sickness at all, so I'd argue it still wins out in that usecase.

Kind of out of left field, but have you read Fahrenheit 451? The ''parlor wall'' concept ( a form of television where people take on an acting role in the program themselves ) is quite interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also you didn't really ask but I always recommend this to anyone who does ( not VR related just an indie game I enjoyed )

I agree that people are lazy and will enjoy watching television passively a lot of the time. No argument there.

However, I do think that companies like Facebook are, evil as they are, also quite capable of seeing into the future even if they are (sort of like Microsoft back in the day) surprisingly incompetent at times and always tasteless. Criticisms about being blindfolded are a bit shortsighted in my opinion, outward-facing cameras to detect obstacles would solve that problem in a pretty robust way it seems to me. I just don't see any reason to sit down at a computer and do WASD when you could have a more intense experience in VR, I just think that whole mode of expression is going to be removed as a thing once VR takes off. Being portable means you can play it in any room where you happen to have space, could be the kitchen for some people, it's not always the case that people have room for a dedicated VR area adjacent to their computer, even if they have a powerful enough rig to play a high-end VR game like Alyx.

Portable VR + great content is a killer app situation in my opinion.

That game look great, thanks for the recommendation, just bought it and I'm going to try to set aside some time to play it.

22 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Portable VR + great content is a killer app situation in my opinion.

You will run into a wall as nobody will buy full body for a killer app. They will buy full body for a metaverse though. A properly functioning metaverse is the killer app in my opinion.