On 7/1/2020 at 9:24 PM, FMPONE said:

The index is heavy enough to be slightly uncomfortable. I don’t regret buying it, but there is no reason to lie. It’s not comfortable as a device. There is real room for improvement on the weight side of things. And the sooner we yeet the goddamn wire into the sun, the better. That shit has GOT. TO. GO!

This seems to be a step in the right direction to rectify that weight problem:

https://research.fb.com/blog/2020/06/holographic-optics-for-thin-and-lightweight-virtual-reality/

Quest 2 announced!  Huge spec bump, but not so comfortable.

Prices: (very hard to beat)

64GB - 299$

256GB - 399$

Only thing that might turn you off is the fact that it requires you to sign in with FB-account.

I don’t totally understand the Facebook thing, I don’t think there’s anyone I know in person that doesn’t have it, and you can just create it for using it just like the tons of websites that ask for your email… am I missing something? 🤔 

VR has a long way to go however HL Alyx was a leap ahead of time for sure... it made me hopeful for a VR, but It'll all going to depend on whether or not people wanna develop games for it. This cheaper Quest will be enticing for a lot of people, we'll see what the future holds but I really hope the tech keeps getting better, faster and lighter.

FB currently has the most competitive VR hardware on the market for a very affordable price. They're going to discontinue the Oculus Rift once they get the Oculus Link performance fine tuned. I kind of like their vision of an hybrid headset that can adapt to many use cases.

Carmack recently said PCVR isn't going anywhere as the biggest constraint for standalone VR is thermals.

This also happened:

I believe if anyone is capable of pushing VR to mainstream, it's FB.

Edited by Zarsky

On 9/16/2020 at 11:42 PM, blackdog said:

I don’t totally understand the Facebook thing, I don’t think there’s anyone I know in person that doesn’t have it, and you can just create it for using it just like the tons of websites that ask for your email… am I missing something? 🤔 

I think it's getting pretty rare among younger people, but I never got into social media myself so frankly I wouldn't know

Either way, it might be hard to imagine at this point but yes some people would still prefer their head-mounted camera device does not connect directly through their real name to a known and unapologetic data harvesting conglomerate. You know, if given the choice.

Also, this doesn't directly relate to your question but facebook has stated they intend to completely phase out oculus accounts over the coming years; meaning people have to either merge their accounts or lose all software and (partial?) basic functionality of their devices. Note: No they can't just make burner FB accounts since that's against the TOS and would, again, risk losing the account entirely.

Honestly? I think people complaining about this is mostly just a virtue signal about muh privacy, but I care about muh privacy so I don't view that as a bad thing. Lets be real, the ''here's a 2780 page contract, we reserve the right to alter it without prior notice at literally any time, thanks for opening this web page. (oh and btw just by having opened this page you've already agreed to the contract lmao)'' that every so-called service tries to pull nowadays is a flagrant assault on consumer rights & most governments are still too busy living in 1989 to address it.

/rant

Edited by ThunderKeil

@ThunderKeil I agree with what you are saying, the whole TOS practice all tech companies employ is pretty much disgusting in terms of fairness.

I heard about the phasing out and I just thought that if you don't have an account, creating one just for the VR can't be considered "burner" as no one can force you to post stuff. Not sure about if you already have an account how they'll verify you have a second account (and some people have multiple accounts already for business purposes).

In regard to the kids, if they are not on FB they are on Instagram... which is bascially the same. If the accounts are not merged yet, I'm expecting they'll allow for a one-login type of thing in the future.

I listened to the video below recently and in terms of vision, what they want to do for VR/AR is very interesting and I guess unfortunately they are among the few companies that have money to throw away experimenting.

I haven't had the time to watch the Facebook Connect keynote, there is this supercut:

Carmack also had a section for himself... I thought he was leaving FB when I read he was moving to work on AI

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

@ThunderKeil I agree with what you are saying, the whole TOS practice all tech companies employ is pretty much disgusting in terms of fairness.

I heard about the phasing out and I just thought that if you don't have an account, creating one just for the VR can't be considered "burner" as no one can force you to post stuff. Not sure about if you already have an account how they'll verify you have a second account (and some people have multiple accounts already for business purposes).

In regard to the kids, if they are not on FB they are on Instagram... which is bascially the same. If the accounts are not merged yet, I'm expecting they'll allow for a one-login type of thing in the future.

I listened to the video below recently and in terms of vision, what they want to do for VR/AR is very interesting and I guess unfortunately they are among the few companies that have money to throw away experimenting.

It might not have been the correct term, but when I said burner account I meant one created under a false name, not just one separate from any preexisting ones.

As per your interpretation though - I'm fairly certain they just combine the data anyway. Not sure how they deal with accounts created in name of a business or such, actually - but I'll hazard an uninformed guess and assume those are probably created differently than ''normal'' accounts, and you presumably can't merge your oculus account with one like that.

I don't know if they still do - but I recall a few years ago there was some uproar when it came out that facebook even maintains accounts of people who've never signed up, it's just data they've scraped together from other sources. Ghost accounts or something, I don't recall the name precisely.

I'm not sure how I feel about their investment in VR. On the surface it seems great of course to know they're pouring some money into a sprouting technology, but at the same time; if they flood the market with cheap headsets ( no, I'm not saying their current range is cheap, this is a hypothetical ) it'll only hurt the competition. That wouldn't be a problem inherently, of course, but I'm guessing most of their development is going into cloud computing and such things, which as you might've gathered already is big time not my jam. Surely there's a word for what I was describing in the first half of this paragraph . . would now be too late to claim English isn't my first language?

At any rate - I hope everyone who got an oculus is enjoying it, genuinely - I'm a pretty materialistic person and the sting of a regrettable purchase is one I do not cherish. I kind of dislike console wars for that sole reason, I enjoy the memes but I don't like to think there's a kid out there somewhere who'll enjoy his Christmas present less because some neckboard on reddit told him it's shit. All things considered though, oculus plotting a walled garden when Valve ( and others ) were trying their hearts out maintaining cross-compatibility in a platform direly not in need of content being locked away to exclusivity really should have been a red flag to any informed consumer, and on some level I would say they should have seen some bullshit on the horizon from the start.

4 hours ago, dux said:

Simple, don't buy an oculus.

Yes, after seeing and thinking of these things, seems like the only way to go. Seems they shooting themselves in the foot unless they damage control.

shame tho cos the new devices look good and they are cheaper, the appeal is there in that sense.

Are the Oculus devices being sold at a loss?

~
Dunno why a video was embedded in my post, originally was showing a Reddit page – edited

Edited by blackdog