Sign in to follow this  
wazeecha

[CS:GO Wingman] de_dozen

"Those darn animal rights activists are at it again!

While anarchists are attempting to destroy a friendly family chicken farm in response to 'alleged' animal cruelty,

SWAT is moving in to stop the carnage and make sure that everything turns out...

over-easy."

cNGxPi3.png

de_dozen (Beta v1.0)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2140771293

de_dozen is an in-progress CS:GO Wingman 2v2 map scheduled for full release in September 2020 as part of the Source Engine Discord Wingman Level Design Contest. At this stage I have published a v1.0 beta build of the map, in the hopes of finally having some playtesting done on it. This is the second map project I've started in hammer (see de_shortbloc for my earlier work). The theme and design was incepted in early May, so this release represents about a month and half and a little under 100 hours worth of work.

Original moodboard:

Spoiler

Wsu4GFh.jpg

Layout sketching (pre-alpha):

Spoiler

FcOJOK8.png

Alpha walkthrough video:

Spoiler

Initial Skybox planning:

Spoiler

cSWhIrg.png

Beta version screenshots

Spoiler

k3Q8emE.jpg

Aerial view of outdoor areas (lower lot, truck and CT spawn; upper quad to T main and drop stairs)

Spoiler

uoxuwmq.jpg

Bombsite A (Rolling doors on lower right side open to Garage/CT Spawn, top center is T Long)

Spoiler

S1Jf3ps.jpg

T Spawn (T main through window, path to Long via ramp on right side)

Spoiler

zZsiPcQ.jpg

Garage (CT Spawn)

Spoiler

7ubuuGd.jpg

T Main to Office. Connecter to Long through right hand hallway, window/stairs to Garage.

Spoiler

R8W0bua.jpgZ4iSkit.jpg

Cages to T Long

More screenshots available on the workshop page. Please send any feedback or criticism if you give it a try. At the moment there's still a lot of work to do, between detailing, optimization, and fine tuning lighting, sound, displacements. I've mentioned in other threads, I find myself much more focused on detailing rather than brushing, so I have no doubt there may be some gameplay flaws I overlooked. Thank you in advance for your honesty in that department.

More updates to come. 

After dealing with a stand-in brush "model", I've finally got my hands on a proper egg carton from: https://grabcad.com/library/simple-egg-carton-1

Unfortunately the author did a bit too good of a job on it, and Crowbar was not able to compile all of the geometry, so I had to decimate the hell out of it:

Spoiler

cartonblendss.png.9867a6a29c681d174fc9a5b017a8ec06.png

It turned out a bit wonky after removing so many faces, but at least now I was able to get it compiled and in game. For my purposes I think it fits fine:

Spoiler

20200630082531_1.jpg.12d50be970c3d7f7f1f7ee4a0d10d082.jpg

(Sorry for the bad lighting, this was a fast compile) You can see the original brush model I was using toward the back.

The initial version of de_dozen has been out for about a week now, but there's been a lot going on since then. Loads detail improvements, fixes, soundscape implementation, and more will be coming in the next update, which I plan on publishing the second week of July.

Edited by wazeecha

So I was going to wait until next week to update, but a lot got done in the past few days, and I'm going camping this weekend, so Beta v2.0 is now on the workshop:

vz4HsNd.jpg

Changelog for this version mostly included detailing, but a few other fixes:

-Many detail/optimization improvements
-Displacement adjustments
-Added improved egg-carton static prop model
-Aligned drain grate textures in cage room
-Fixed clipping and getting stuck in flag displacement
-Fixed reflection issues on chicken cages
-Implemented rough soundscape
-Added low-density fog
-Radar adjustments

The radar has stayed mostly the same, but I think I've finally settled on a color scheme:

Spoiler

nBnljtz.jpg

More screenshots on the workshop. Thanks for having a look!

The remaining work has turned into testing, fixing, detailing, repeat. So updates are coming a bit more quicker now but with a little less content each time. I'm on beta v2.3 at the moment, and I'm hoping to have a full release by version 3.0. I don't expect any more major changes to the map, so this will likely be my last post here until the final release.

A few minor improvements this time around but I think everything is starting to look a lot more put together. The most noticeable improvement is the interior lighting in Village (chicken cages) and Office. Now you can actually see all of the hens in their not-so-happy homes:

lKMP63D.jpg

Brightened Office Overview:

T3Qc1NG.jpg

Completely ignoring what I said two days ago about not posting more updates until the final version is ready---

Kind of a major change here. Blocked off the top of machine and mostly hid the refrigeration unit. When testing this myself, I always felt that it was a super awkward location. I'm hoping that fencing it off will steer gameplay towards the big jump coming from long, or more rotations through the loading dock double doors. 

icL0VHy.jpg