Sign in to follow this  
NikiOo

[CS:GO] Erect (wingman hostage)

Erect is a wingman map set around a secluded church inside a desert cliff, ran by a murderous cult leader. The cops have been informed that yet another religious sacrifice is about to go down and so they've rolled down the desert in their heavy swat vehicle and jammed it straight through the main entrance. The occultists at the back have been alerted by the loud crash. The guns are out and the hunt is on!

eOwGdWX.jpg

More screenshots:

Spoiler

EbzdJMU.jpg

DVvJEfb.jpg

gGudoJS.jpg

MHRArEg.jpg

TV4VrTs.jpg

7etXYip.jpg

7kzp9XF.jpg

5e1J89B.jpg

Radar:

Spoiler

tuz6V3L.png

I saw the announcement for the Wingman contest and I put together this map in a couple of hours. I've always wanted to make a map with a church and this seems like a perfect occasion to do so. Yes, it is a hostage map. I don't even know if Valve supports hostage maps for Wingman, but the rules of the contest allowed it so I thought, why not. I've never made a hostage map. One thing I've noticed about Wingman maps is that the objective is rarely fulfilled, because either the fights happen way too quickly, or players would much rather lurk to get the jump on their opponent, than give away their position by trying to plant a bomb. So I thought why not give the attacking team, the CTs in the case of hostage, a headstart by putting them at arms reach from the hostages. This way the winning strategy is not so evident. You can either make a run and get the hostage quickly, or you can hold the breaks and wait for your opponents to make a mistake and frag them out. Either way, I've only had time to playtest this with bots so I can't tell how it's gonna play.

The CTs spawn inside the church, at the main entrance, from where they have two options. They can either walk out and wrap around the church through Long where they can take a long range engagement, or flank the Ts, or they can push forward towards the hostage, where they'll be vulnerable from three attacking points. The Ts have one entrance from beneath the hostage, one side entrance, and a roof area, with one window opening to the church hall. The roof on the left side of the church is accessible through a ladder.

It's not meant to be a very competitive map. I just want to make a fun map with lots of cool things that you can do. Most of the areas that seem accessible are. I've just uploaded it to the workshop so it should be accessible in a couple of hours, as soon as it gets approved. Here's the link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2095685385 Let me know what you think!

Visuals inspired by Dusk.

Edited by NikiOo

On 5/14/2020 at 8:24 PM, Interfearance said:

Those rock textures are making me ERECT

off topic joke alert!

Spoiler

I've just hand-painted these beautiful rock sculpts in Zbrush. I'm glad you like them!

If you like that texture, you'd be happy to hear I have some merch in the works. Here's a quick preview:

Spoiler

dWSlAAv.png

On 5/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, DMU222 said:

Maybe needs a bit more FARM and SCARECROW? Looking pretty epic.

I've added a barn in the new version. Scarecrows are a must!

Edited by NikiOo

beware! doubling down on the previous joke

Spoiler

Forgot to mention that the map uses Unreal 5's new Lumen technology so all those rock pixels each have their own triangle, simulated in real time, and support dynamic lightnings!

Edited by NikiOo

watch out! below lies a contextual joke, building up the suspense for the below screenshot. you might feel uncomfortable..

Spoiler

If you thought that was crazy, wait till you see this. I ordered this old MetaPolys subdivision box and plugged it into my blender drivers:

cBK7Zec.jpg

What it does is, it reads the geometry of your 3d mesh through that input cable, then based on some hidden algorithm it dials up the frequency of your topology, and voila! I've more than quadrupled the polygons of my mesh. Here's what it looks like now:

f0l5T2R.png

and now...a series of tasteless jokes with some facts sprinkled here and there:

Spoiler

The original mesh was based on real topological data, so let's see if you guys can guess the place. Here, I'll give you a hint - it's somewhere in Israel. And another hint - Jesus stood on it. So I'll leave it there. If you are struggling to guess, revise your bibles.

As a moodboard for the colors I used Kim Kardashian's Skims collection. Particularly, the design goal is to have a map with colors inspired by the human body, so it can be more relatable. When you boot up the game to play this map, it's like calling up a friend. If you like your friends naked that is. I might expand the gradient spectrum to be more inclusive, but this is just a test, so hold your horses.

On second glance, though, geometry seems like it might get quite repetitive. This old remesh box does a good job, but its age shows when I slap on some Unreal 5 textures. And since I am aiming for some uncanny valley type shit where you can't recognize the map from a human, I might redo the model with some more inspiration from human anatomy. Good night! May this rock visit you in your dreams!

Edited by NikiOo