I was already pretty much of the idea, but after Dux's "review" I'm definitely not getting this at full price. And maybe never. I'd rather keep my good memories of when I played it back then.

I'll install Mafia 2 Definitive since they were so kind to upgrade my copy, hoping it runs decent (the original seemed to have the same CPU single thread bottleneck of Crysis).

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

I was already pretty much of the idea, but after Dux's "review" I'm definitely not getting this at full price. And maybe never. I'd rather keep my good memories of when I played it back then.

I'll install Mafia 2 Definitive since they were so kind to upgrade my copy, hoping it runs decent (the original seemed to have the same CPU single thread bottleneck of Crysis).

Erm, dude it's good and they fixed a lot of issues. I've played the original game probably once every two years since 2002 and the remake did not insult me so far! Those events in the opening chase are rather weird but I quickly forgot about that.

The rubber faces are a bit shit I have to agree, not sure why they chose to almost completely remove the specular highlights there.

It's actually the Mafia 2 remaster that I was a bit more disappointed with, whole thing is mostly about up-rezed assets without proper art direction. That one is rushed 😕

Edited by Buddy

Rendering seems to have received a significant upgrades from Mafia III....judging by the comments, faces are not a part of that equation. 😅

Edited by Zarsky

5 hours ago, blackdog said:

I was already pretty much of the idea, but after Dux's "review" I'm definitely not getting this at full price.

Game is not full price, it released at 39.99

Support SP story based games, so they can make more of them, ktkxbye.

It's well worth the asking price. Don't let my criticisms change your mind. I'm enjoying myself a lot playing it, but those are the glaring issues I have with it. Keep in mind I've never played the first Mafia, only Mafia 2.

5 hours ago, blackdog said:

Edited by dux

16 hours ago, Buddy said:

Erm, dude it's good and they fixed a lot of issues. I've played the original game probably once every two years since 2002 and the remake did not insult me so far!

[...]

It's actually the Mafia 2 remaster that I was a bit more disappointed with, whole thing is mostly about up-rezed assets without proper art direction. That one is rushed 😕

12 hours ago, dux said:

It's well worth the asking price. Don't let my criticisms change your mind. I'm enjoying myself a lot playing it, but those are the glaring issues I have with it. Keep in mind I've never played the first Mafia, only Mafia 2.

I might sound contradictory in my complaints but just wanted to say I don't think I'd care about the rubber faces, I'm fine without the latest graphics tech... as long the rest of the package works well, and I think animations bug me way much more than graphics. For example I wasn't annoyed by Alan Wake's models, but I was really put off by the subpar face anim that made the characters look almost like Jeff Dunham's puppets.

It's not just what I'm reading here, from the bits of gameplay I've seen I'm being quite bugged by the breadcrumb style waypoint system... are there no settings to make the experience more adult?

Mafia 2 like I said I don't care much for graphics, I'd just be happy to be able to play a game I paid for, it was unplayable in the original version on my PC (which is infuriating considering it was running on X360 and that I can run more demanding/newer games perfectly fine).

Apparently I'm not allowed to criticise a game but also like it at the same time. Ya'll should be game journalists. :v 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Dux's evolution in this thread is amazing.

Edited by dux

That race was easy. Why are there steam reviews saying it's bad and really hard? I beat it first go on a keyboard and had fun🤷‍♂️

Game looks really really nice, especially at evening and night. But when it rains, why don't cars or characters get wet? There was a part where I chased some dudes in a car in the rain, they crashed, but during the cutscene everyone standing out in the rain is bone dry, the car is dry. It's the little things like this that could of used a bit more polish

I'm walking this girl home and the game inhibits my characters faster walking speed so I stay level with her while the dialogue happens. Like I said, it's the little thing like this that I appreciate. Nothing twists my nips more than having a character that walks faster than an NPC and I keep having to stop start to wait for them. 10/10

When I have to steal the race car and drive it to this guys garage, why didn't the garage guy just come up to me so no one see's what we are up to? Because game.

I've mentioned my character's stiff idle pose, it would of been nice if the mouse/controller was tied into my character's head/looking direction. When people are talking to me, my guy just stands there stiffly, looking off at a weird angle. Would of been nice if I could have a bit more refined control over my guy so I can point him at whoever's talking for extra immmmmerrrsssioonnsss. Once again, the lil things.

Literally had a blast going through that hotel brothel.

2 hours ago, dux said:

That race was easy. Why are there steam reviews saying it's bad and really hard? I beat it first go on a keyboard and had fun🤷‍♂️

[...]

I'm walking this girl home and the game inhibits my characters faster walking speed so I stay level with her while the dialogue happens. Like I said, it's the little thing like this that I appreciate. Nothing twists my nips more than having a character that walks faster than an NPC and I keep having to stop start to wait for them. 10/10

I was really wondering about the race, in the interviews the devs said it had been "fixed", then I was reading that it was still a bit frustrating.

The second bit is the type of situation that I really hope at some point in the (near) future we can make skippable when replaying the story a second time.

I am having plenty of script bugs (mostly sound bugs or animations not working well if I pause the game in the middle of it), anyone else?

Same as you Dux, feels like it would have benefit a lot from more love and polish, especially with these visuals (it's stunning)