Not to diminish the effort of a remake, but is only me feeling weird to see a game evaluated on the same scale as new productions?

Anyway I read in one article that the game should be discounted for people who owned previous titles… that true? Anyone verified this?

I got the Mafia 2 remake added for free on my Steam, but I was thinking of getting the trilogy on PS4.

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

Not to diminish the effort of a remake, but is only me feeling weird to see a game evaluated on the same scale as new productions?

Remakes can be just as much work as a "regular" game, if you're aiming at a remake a-la RE2 or FF7 where whole systems are brand new, I'd even say it's more work, because you're worrying about not only building the damn thing, but also retaining the DNA of a game released 2 decades ago.

Anyway, just beat that freaking racing mission, if they're going for authenticity they're nailing it because it's just as frustrating as the original, lol. Really enjoying this game man...

It's a bit strange that they're selling this for 40 bucks, isn't it? I would totally still buy this for full price, and be more than happy with the purchase. 

14 hours ago, [HP] said:

Remakes can be just as much work as a "regular" game, if you're aiming at a remake a-la RE2 or FF7 where whole systems are brand new, I'd even say it's more work, because you're worrying about not only building the damn thing, but also retaining the DNA of a game released 2 decades ago.

Anyway, just beat that freaking racing mission, if they're going for authenticity they're nailing it because it's just as frustrating as the original, lol. Really enjoying this game man...

It's a bit strange that they're selling this for 40 bucks, isn't it? I would totally still buy this for full price, and be more than happy with the purchase. 

If you haven't played the 2002 original you do get a full length original game. And let's be real, only dinosaurs like us actually remember playing the original :(

20 hours ago, [HP] said:

What I mean is that for games that are heavily based on narrative, the most important part of the score comes from that aspect, which isn’t new, so for a remake you are mostly evaluating the technical aspect…

But yeah I wasn’t saying they shouldn’t get scores higher than X, after all new generations of gamers don’t have any idea ;)

Edited by blackdog

I was too late with the first mafia, thought it was a clunky awkward ancient mess with a great aesthetic and setting. I really wanted to like it as I loved mafia 2. Will deffo give this one a go.

Finished the game and really enjoyed it. It is a good looking game and they put a lot of effort in to the cutscenes. I like that you can play it as linearly as possible, cutting out all the drive to location to start the missions.

Spoiler

In the original you stumble upon the funeral for that dude you kill, and I loved that, but in the remake you plan to go there. Besides that it was pretty faithful

Simulation driving mode should have slowed down the cars. In the original some cars are so shitty they can barely make it up a hill, which can have it's allure. Cars back in the 30s were all pieces of shit 

18 hours ago, [HP] said:

Simulation driving mode should have slowed down the cars. In the original some cars are so shitty they can barely make it up a hill, which can have it's allure. Cars back in the 30s were all pieces of shit 

Had the same impression, also the ramming mechanic is a bit of a cheat with those super slow cars :D

4 minutes ago, dux said:

lol who has ever cared what gamespot says. Game journalists really wind me up.

1 minute ago, [HP] said:

lmao... at these point, these reviews are like parody of themselves.

I never look at reviews but it came up while scrolling on Facebook and was curious on the reasoning of such a harsh score.

I personally just find baffling how bad animations look, considering that Mafia 3 clearly has better animations and animation blending. How the newest game is not using the tech from the immediate predecessor?? I understand budgets and publisher constraints but what matters, the end result, like a half done job. 

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

I never look at reviews but it came up while scrolling on Facebook and was curious on the reasoning of such a harsh score.

I personally just find baffling how bad animations look, considering that Mafia 3 clearly has better animations and animation blending. How the newest game is not using the tech from the immediate predecessor?? I understand budgets and publisher constraints but what matters, the end result, like a half done job. 

Or staffing changes? Maybe they lost an artist or two.

Gave it a quick blast last night before bed. Pretty good!

My major criticisms/thoughts:

The car chase stuff is weird, it plays the game for you with those checkpoint things you go through. Why don't the developers trust me to drive my car through a narrow gap or over a jump? I gotta watch a quick cutscene instead then be dumped back into the game in whatever direction I was pointing the car before the cutscene. "NO FUN ALLOWED WE DO THE STUNT DRIVING HERE!"

The faces look fucking weird man. I can't get past it. Serious uncanny valley shit going on here. Wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't have a lotta close ups. "Yeah lets just make the faces really flat, bright, and basically just make it look like they are robots wearing rubber skin." (I know there were probably issues and or reasons for why it looks like this, but still, sloppy. The game has the camera in peoples faces A LOT, this shouldn't be an issue, it should be something we are going "wow, nice faces!")

Why does my dude stand in the idle pose like he shit his pants? Look at him, he stands really weird with his hands out and legs sorta bent. Looks broken.

The part where my two boys get shot and beat up in like chapter 3 or whatever in that house. I went in and abused the system. Stood upstairs, in a room, pressed Q to win on a guard, made a noise doing it so everyone else came upstairs to see what was goin on. I hid in a side room, with the door open. Eventually guards would wonder in and I'd press Q to win on them. I repeated this for all the guards, probably 8 to 10 of them. Each one came up and I pressed Q. Takes me back to that other really easy console game for housewives and pre-teens, Overwatch. :v 

This is a console port, the keyboard bindings are god awful terrible.

Solid 60fps on maximum maximum full power details.

Good voice acting.

No real rewards for exploration that I've noticed so far. Like walking up the stairs in the back of your boss mans restaurant. Second time I walked up the stairs (first time was blocked) I was like "bet there's gonna be a cool collectable or something up here now." There was sweet fuck all. What's the point? Just keep it blocked instead of enticing me with sweet possibilities.

Edited by dux