Unreal Engine 5

9 hours ago, -HP- said:

Anyone know why that is? Feels kinda arbitrary 

Some UE features are built around the console gen 9 minspec (nanite) so they probably wanted to show they could actually hit the minspec and put all their effort there.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, will2k said:

With UE5, the boundaries between real and CG are becoming pretty slim

FIvnjDzXMAM1AM8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FIvoGrEXMAQ18e6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FIvoGrAX0AAl0Te?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I feel like we are one Unreal Engine away from photorealism, based on these screenshots. They’re close but you can still tell it’s computer generated

3 hours ago, FMPONE said:

I feel like we are one Unreal Engine away from photorealism, based on these screenshots. They’re close but you can still tell it’s computer generated

Unreal Engine 5.5 patch notes:

-added photorealism, based on feedback and request from fmpone :v

But joking aside, I fully agree and that's why I wrote the boundaries are getting slim but not gone completely; a trained eye can still see it's computer generated but it's becoming more difficult to discern with each engine update

1 hour ago, Beck said:

Does look great. Basically caught up with all those movies where I used to say "Imagine if games looked like this!"

I remembered your post last time about pre-2010 gaming era nostalgia and I'm noticing this awful trend now for most games, where the graphics nowadays are getting photorealistic but the games themselves are getting dumber and too mainstream/simplistic.

Couple of days ago I watched a video comparing Far Cry 2 from 2007 to Far Cry 5 from 2018, and my goodness, FC2 blows FC5 straight out of the water. FC5 is a bit prettier in the graphics department but that's about it; FC2 is leaps and bound ahead in all other fields. You can easily feel the cringe seeing the parts where FC5 treats the player like an idiot who needs constant handholding and dumbing things down.

With rocks, buildings and other lifeless objects they may get away with the photorealism, but with the vegetation, animals and humans i am more pesimistic that they will get out of the uncanny valley any time soon, especially if they are animated. The human brain is hardwired to detect every subtle detail that exist in the makeup of every living being. So good luck cheating that. 

Edited by Serialmapper

On 1/12/2022 at 12:21 PM, will2k said:

Unreal Engine 5.5 patch notes:

-added photorealism, based on feedback and request from fmpone :v

But joking aside, I fully agree and that's why I wrote the boundaries are getting slim but not gone completely; a trained eye can still see it's computer generated but it's becoming more difficult to discern with each engine update

I remembered your post last time about pre-2010 gaming era nostalgia and I'm noticing this awful trend now for most games, where the graphics nowadays are getting photorealistic but the games themselves are getting dumber and too mainstream/simplistic.

Couple of days ago I watched a video comparing Far Cry 2 from 2007 to Far Cry 5 from 2018, and my goodness, FC2 blows FC5 straight out of the water. FC5 is a bit prettier in the graphics department but that's about it; FC2 is leaps and bound ahead in all other fields. You can easily feel the cringe seeing the parts where FC5 treats the player like an idiot who needs constant handholding and dumbing things down.

I think the little light scattering across the incredibly detailed geometry is what seems really promising from a photorealism standpoint. The fucking scary thing is, to be photorealistic, it still seems about half as detailed as it would need to be.

Photorealism feels *close* in 2022, like. We're almost there...

Looking at this shot for example, parts feel photoreal

image.png.a1c03405b3bdbb1783d5d150c0e7b45e.png

and other parts feel like a phony mess

image.png.c0c0e8b67daf3e675c7ca829351e5fe0.png

asset quality almost seems to differ in the shots, I find this whole rock set pretty unconvincing

image.png.27d644f3ddcca0b2e2707ada89ca1763.png