Unreal Engine 5

• 1 month later...

Also in the news:

Sony buys $250 million stake in Fortnite creator Epic Games
The investment gives Sony a 1.4 percent stake in Epic

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/9/21318978/sony-epic-games-fortnite-investment-250-million-game-development

That takes Epic's worth at $18 Billions (with Sweeney worth an incredible $8 - from $100 Millions the previous year)

It would be cool to see the sony dev tools even better integrated with Unreal (specifically their file system overlay stuff, makes development so much smoother when you don't have to redeploy the entire game to test something).

Actually it's been a couple years since I work on PS4. Maybe that feature already exists..

• 10 months later...

Not yet... they really need to study what valve did with the in-editor modeling and UV'ing tools of source2. UE4 modeling system (Brush editor) is still too primitive and clunky.

They need to sit down with people that actually make games, and ask them how their workflow is, and act on it. All of what we see up there on that video is absolutely fantastic, and it's one step closer to a one shop application for game development (the animation stuff is amazing, for instance) but they really need to work on their brush editing mode too, it'd give the chance for people who find Maya, Max or Blender still too daunting to delve into, the ability to at least do some modeling in UE5, and actually be shippable, not just treated as a function to blockout temp geo.

3 hours ago, ┌HP┘ said:

Not yet... they really need to study what valve did with the in-editor modeling and UV'ing tools of source2. UE4 modeling system (Brush editor) is still too primitive and clunky.

They need to sit down with people that actually make games, and ask them how their workflow is, and act on it. All of what we see up there on that video is absolutely fantastic, and it's one step closer to a one shop application for game development (the animation stuff is amazing, for instance) but they really need to work on their brush editing mode too, it'd give the chance for people who find Maya, Max or Blender still too daunting to delve into, the ability to at least do some modeling in UE5, and actually be shippable, not just treated as a function to blockout temp geo.

100% agree. Neither Unity or Unreal get this right. Unity at least has probuilder but even to this day hammer is still way better.

I sometimes think my feelings are antiquated but I still see frustrated designers to this day that wish they had the ability to prototype quickly without involving an artist.

5 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Game over

More like Start New Game :D

Excited to try this some point in the future! Glad to see you can port UE4 projects to it.

+ 1 about brush modeling. I tried a few options for Unity and none of them work as well as Hammer. They are either a bit laggy, or just weird in general (liek in ProBuilder I keep losing the pivots and weird shit like that). And there's also other really stupid shit, like you can snap translate and scale, but not rotation with ProGrids! (And Unity default rotation snap gives me fractional numbers sometimes).

It's hard to believe how they spend so much time and work into huge esoteric features, while basic things like those are either overlooked or non-existent :D

No one cares about well designed video games anymore fellas, the new resident evil is literally a cut scene. Come on, this thing can render an endless desert with sixty trillion polygons.

As far as Source 2, I’m having a lot of fun but if you’re not render-farming and making playable levels for it you *do* have to render them for fifteen hours. So there is a massive technology gap.

UE5 might hassle the designers but every other discipline was already working with outside programs so…

tldr Should they steal the brush tools and hotspot stuff? Yes of course. I can’t argue with their priorities though, they solved some big fucking problems and the performance looks totally legit

2 hours ago, FMPONE said:

No one cares about well designed video games anymore fellas

Yep. Sadly the golden age of gaming was over 10 years ago at this point.

Game engines are marketed to gamers just as much as games these days. Pretty shit sells, who cares if the game is actually a pile of shit design wise.

I don't know how many times I tried doing a blockout for an environment in UE4 and saying fuck this, and loading up 3dsmax. And that was for art that was never going to be used for gameplay.

They added a new modeling system in 4.25, its not the best, but an improvement over the horrible brush system. What I miss the most though is a proper prefab system or a way to have several levels open at the same time