Sign in to follow this  
ErikFnatic

Fnatic want's to make CS better!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Erik Londré and I work at Fnatic. We have previously dabbled in creating custom maps. We did a CS:GO surf map a few years ago and created a custom 1v1 map for an event. We were super happy with the results of both. 

When I watched a WarOwl video where he presented the maps from the Exotic places competition I got really inspired. The level of creativity was insane!

So now I am coming to your community and asking what we can do together to make CS:GO better?

What educational, competitive, or just plain fun map concept are we missing?

Can we build the ultimate training/warm-up map?
Are we building the scariest zombie escape map ever for this years Halloween?
Should we recreate the Tokyo Olympics in CS? 

Or should we do something completely different? I would love to hear your ideas. Maybe you are already working on something you think we could collaborate around?

Our CS:GO team is currently ranked #1 in the world, we have access to sponsors for funding, big name content creators and a lot of CS:GO fans all around the World. I think we could make some really cool stuff happen together. 

Send me an email at [email protected]

Hi Erik, welcome to mapcore.

You could see if you can get involved in sponsoring Mapcore's next contest, as long as that wouldn't prove some sort of conflict of interest.

It would be great to see the competitive community open up to new maps more. Maybe you could talk to tournament operators about expanding the map pool. Obviously the classics are the only option for big-money tournaments, but there's nothing to say they couldn't run a little side-gig where knocked out teams (so not Fnatic, obviously) play for a runners-up prize on a pool of lesser known community maps? Exposure is priceless for aspiring creators.

Joe is right, it would be great if professional players or tournament organisers would give community maps a shot. There are already dozens of well designed, quality maps out there.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your ideas and input! Awesome!

We could potentially sponsor a mapping competition for sure. How many do you guys do a year? Is it only one?

Radu and Text Fish
The idea of side tournaments is interesting and I see why it is great for aspiring creators to get exposure of their amazing work.

Blackdog
This is an interesting idea. Would it be on already established maps then?

In general though I think we are more interested in stuff that is not 5v5 Bomb Defusal maps. 
1v1, 2v2, 3v3 etc
Surf
Death Run 

Best 
erik

IIRC Mapcore's big CSGO contest seems to run biannually, but they run more frequent smaller contests as well, which tend to focus on something a bit less ambitious than a fully fledged 5v5 defusal map. I would advise contacting one of the admins directly from this page if you want to get involved -- it takes a lot of work for them to set up and run, so as we've only just come out of a big contest they might have some schedule restrictions.

I for one would love to see a well sponsored contest that incentivises people to work on a lesser played map type like hostage rescue, wingman or arms race.

From a mappers perspective: creating anything that isn't an official Valve game mode is not interesting for CS:GO mappers I would say (since there is no chance to get it in the game). I think a Classic map might be too much work, especially after the contest just being finished. Then we probably get to the Wingman game mode which is 2 vs 2 and probably the best choice. It is a new game mode, so a lot of possibilities to try out new ideas. Also, the official wingman maps are mostly a lazy edit of the Classic game mode, which makes the game mode be very uninteresting at the moment. I think it is a great opportunity to design some great stuff for it and especially with pro players supporting it. I think when Valve sees pros interest in this game mode, it might actually become a more official thing. Besides, the Mapcore Hub supports the Wingman game mode (and Classic) for the maps to be played on, and also the hubs organize tournaments that are great and very popular. 

And yes I agree on text_fish and Radu. I would love to see pro players supporting the community maps in a way like playing them at tournaments, the hubs (and stream) or have playtests and provide mappers with feedback or what so ever. 

Edited by Roald

On 4/30/2020 at 4:19 PM, ErikFnatic said:

Blackdog

This is an interesting idea. Would it be on already established maps then?

In general though I think we are more interested in stuff that is not 5v5 Bomb Defusal maps. 
1v1, 2v2, 3v3 etc
Surf
Death Run

Thanks @ErikFnatic (you can tag users with the @ like on Twitter ;) )

On the Wingman mode, I personally have no particular problems with the classic map adaptations, but as highlighted by @Roald they are not well received. Casual play aside, for what concerns community level designers, using the default maps would be of no use: the community needs a spotlight on the quality content it's being produced. There are plenty of Wingman submissions already on the Workshop... but there's no much incentive in producing them because atm Valve won't rotate community maps in the game like has happened with 5v5 maps.

So one way to go would be to sponsor a Wingman contest, thanks to the Fnatic brand it could turn some heads and have Valve show some more love for this mode.

We also have a couple designers around here that worked on Danger Zone maps, these are big undertakings to make, but a big contest like the one that was just held for the 5v5 could again attract many people to work on original content... and for this Valve has already welcomed some custom content. Dunno if your players (or any other pro) enjoy the Battle Royale mode.