Kokopelli

[CS:GO] Cusco

It's a little Off-topic but is Terragen still a thing? Last I checked the newest versions output amazingly realistic results :) I agree that the CS community won't accept a Bloodborne-like skybox, but variation is nice. I remember one of my favorite things to do back in CS 1.6 was to look at the different skyboxes - anyone remembers the skies for 3d-mike's maps, de_laguna etc? Having a beautiful and unique skybox will go a long way to make a map stand-out. If Terragen doesn't work, I'm sure there's a way to convert skies from cgskies to Source format (wouldn't be too hard to set something like this in a modelling program, just place a sphere and turn the camera around to take the screenshots).

-- Edit

:D 

@FMPONE @blackdog @Vaya @Lizard @Minos

Thanks for all the feedback guys, you make good points. I haven't played too much with the skybox/lighting yet as I've been mainly focused on the layout, but I definitely would like to give it some love to make the map really stand out. The current lighting is the way it is because I do understand that players are psychologically drawn to brighter maps and visibility is such a big factor in how enjoyable the experience is, so I kept it simple. I hope to find a way to make it distinct without giving players any added anxiety or frustration.

When do you guys find yourselves playing around with lighting the most? During blockout? During art pass? Or is it persistent throughout development?

@Minos Thanks for sharing those resources! I'll will look into them further.

@Radu What did you use to make your skybox for Chlorine? It is a lovely one indeed.

Going to schedule a playtest for next weekend.

6 minutes ago, Kokopelli said:

When do you guys find yourselves playing around with lighting the most? During blockout? During art pass? Or is it persistent throughout development?

Mostly in blockout stage then tweak if needed when set dressing. The problem with  this approach is that you get used to how map looks and feels like. Its super hard to change lighting drasticly later on + you can have  problem with custom assets that just dont look good  with new lighting.

1 hour ago, Kokopelli said:

I'm not one that can give great advice, but experimenting in blockout seems to make the most sense as compile will be faster, if anything. Get sun direction, angle and overall temperature early, to tweak later like Lizard said.

I guess if you have a good idea of the art direction, have the assets, you can do an art test detailing an area or two that will inform the rest of the map.

What I also like to do is to take an area from a greybox that I'm sure wont change much and do artpass on it. Sort of test scene for lighting and assets.