Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

2 hours ago, Radu said:

This is no longer Assassin's Creed.

This is more like a generic RPG/combat game. I guess it is trying to compete with The "Witcher 3" or "Kingdom Come" now?

They should have developed this game under a new IP which would be totally fine for a new game but I guess they kept the Assassin's Creed franchise name to keep drawing old players in.

If they want to create a game solely focused on large-scale combat, grinding for XP, character customization, clan warfare then it's totally fine; just don't call it Assassin's Creed where it almost has nothing of what made Ezio/Altair games the staple they are.

Not impressed with this one.

7 hours ago, will2k said:

This is no longer Assassin's Creed.

Yeah that’s how I’ve felt for a long time already. As a Viking simulator it might be decent.

No time or interest.

1 hour ago, Radu said:

Yeah but

No. Our goal is to make sure you can have a Unity within an Odyssey. If you want to have a story of 15 hours, you can have it, but you can also have other stories. You live in that world and you pursue what you want to pursue. You have an experience, many Unity-like experiences.

is not really like this, is it?

You don't get three different storylines, you don't get one storyline with a few other 1 hour side stories you wonder off on... 

idk I've never really played any AC games, but I've been following on the evolution of the world and historic representation. I like the environments from Origins and Odyssey.

Edited by Radu

I think it's undeniable the world building, fidelity, art, coming out of Ubisoft is top notch and always something to look up to. But we are talking about content... AC was first introduced as a "Splinter Cell in the light of day, set in the crusades" - and it wasn't; now it resembles more the experience you already get from The Division or Ghost Recon.

I mean, I'm sure it works, and maybe the overlap of player of these games is not even that big (so they cover more market) but would be nice to see more original stuff.

For me AC games lost the main pillar of gameplay long time ago (for me at least). It was climbing the environment to gain advantage, re-route, hide and stealth through some dangerous part of the city. I get  it that  they need something  fresh in the series  but why not make a totally different ip?

7 hours ago, Radu said:

He seems like he's trying to convince himself of something he's not convinced of.

What he's trying to say is we see an opportunity with open world large scale warfare, massive character/clan/village customization, repetitive XP grinding, and locking quests/progress behind player level to artificially extend playtime, and we want to jump on the bandwagon and have a piece of this. We don't want to create a new IP though, so let's just slap it on a beloved and trusted franchise, AC.

They could have called it "Rise of the Vikings" or make it a new franchise that changes with civilizations like "Ancient Civilizations: Vikings" and the game would probably be nice and fine; but this has nothing to do with AC. No wonder the franchise compass has been lost for a while now.

But so far it seems like people are enjoying it. And I like the sound of not having level based enemies/gear and instead relying on stamina and timing your attacks

Edited by Radu

3 hours ago, Radu said:

But so far it seems like people are enjoying it

More like.. This particular youtuber likes it :) I bet I can find dozen of videos of people disliking  it.

22 hours ago, Lizard said:

I get  it that  they need something  fresh in the series  but why not make a totally different ip?

Yeah, the industry keeps complaining about the risk in new IPs as if AC was never a new IP. Or The Division. Or Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us.

14 hours ago, Radu said:

But so far it seems like people are enjoying it. And I like the sound of not having level based enemies/gear and instead relying on stamina and timing your attacks

Same guy had a raving preview of Doom Eternal, to the point I was reconsidering preordering or getting on day-1, then most people here complained about the levelling etc.

Also the mechanics sound completely new, makes me think of Ryse, DMC and similar games.